Cyclist Killed Downtown

Written by Boston Biker on Jan 24

Getting reports of a fatal incident this morning at 8:10 a.m. near the intersection of Arlington and Tremont streets.

View Larger Map

Does anyone have any details?

More details when I get them. Be careful out there people.

Seems it was a male, taken to the hospital then pronounced dead(via).

EDIT:

Bicyclist hit in Boston: MyFoxBOSTON.com

EDIT:

Anyone know the owner of this bike? (pics via Boston Patch)

EDIT:

It was a 34 year old male. See below.

EDIT:

Jon pointed out over email that this is just just down the street from the fatal accident that happened in front of community bicycle supply several years ago.

EDIT:

Turns out it was in fact a 74 year old male.

submit Cyclist Killed Downtown to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in news, video | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Cyclist Killed Downtown”

1. By cycler on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

That’s a really grim intersection- too many cars treat it as a highway, even though it’s the edge of a very pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood.
    I think the “highway” style crash barriers along the street help reinforce that feeling.
    My thoughts go out to the cyclist’s family and friends.

2. By pierce on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

I work at the corner of Herald and Shawmut, and I agree with the above statement. Herald Street is a glorified on-ramp for 93, and it isn’t rare to see 3-4 cars run every red light at 35mph+ trying to get to beat all the lights and get to the highway. Despite the wastelandiness of the streetscape, there are schools, head start programs, and even the Boston Children’s Choir home tucked in around here, and there are many children crossing these roads most mornings. I used to be anti-traffic cameras until working here, I think they should be at all major intersections in this city, red light laws need to be enforced.

My sympathy and throughts go to the cyclist and his family and friends.

3. By Tea on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s a terrible road to ride especially during rush hour. A sad lost.

Respect.

4. By Ron Newman on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

That bridge has nasty-looking expansion joints. I’m wondering whether they, or ice on them, could have caused the cyclist to lose control.

5. By June on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

This is so very sad. My hearts goes out to the cyclist and his family. Please everyone be careful out there. I don’t live in this city but my son is a cyclist and I worry about him every time he goes out for a ride. Look for out for each other.

6. By Pauline on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Oh, that’s really sad. The fact that it was a 74 year-old Asian male makes me think that he was probably not wearing a helmet. A lot of people in immigrant communities don’t wear helmets; in my experience in Asia, most people were just not that safety conscious about bike-riding. Bike organizations should try to do some immigrant outreach.

7. By Moopheus on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

If that hole in the windshield stopped the guy’s head, not sure a helmet would have helped any. However, details of what actually happened appear to be still scarce.

8. By matt on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

how about we not turn this fatality thread into a helmet bashfest?

9. By Lucas on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

The news of this crash deeply saddens me.
    I think it is greatly unfortunate that senior citizens, unlikely to be reckless, scofflaws or to ride at high speeds, cannot ride safely in our town without being run down.
    I have become actively aware of the dangers of this and neighboring intersections since having moved to within two blocks of the accident site over the summer. Tremont too, but particularly Arlington street is a section of road where cars move at excessive speeds for no good reason. There is hardly ever any congestion here but the road being wide, with three or more lanes in one direction and a long stretch from Columbus to Cortes without stops leads cars to accelerate to highway speeds at all hours. Further, the entrance ramps to the turnpike just before and a few blocks after this site suggest to me that drivers are already in highway mode before they get on the ramp.
    I would urge the city to enforce speed here as I feel unsafe myself particularly on Arlington street. Further, red light cameras, traffic calming, and bicycle lanes are urgently needed.
    To anyone who is familiar or concerned with this area, please voice your thoughts to your friends, city reps, Boston Cyclists Union, Nicole Freedman, and on blogs such as this.

10. By Lovely Bicycle! on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

74 years old : (
    That is very sad.

11. By Pauline on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Matt, personally I’m more concerned about the elders in my extended community (those who live in Chinatown) become more safety-conscious on a variety of metrics — not just with respect to helmet wear, but also lights and traffic habits. I have seen a variety of bad biking habits among the elders in my community who rely on bicycles as their primary source of transportation. I also see that bike advocacy organizations typically pay scant attention to immigrant communities, who are apolitical about riding but do so out of economic necessity. If I were actually resident IN Boston at this time you can bet that I’d be in line to promote bike safety in LEP immigrant communities where I speak the language — but I’m not.