Bike Lanes On Harvard Ave, Video

Written by Boston Biker on Apr 21

The good folks at AB bikes shot the following nice footage.

Gives you a nice idea of how the bike lanes and sharrows work (and in some cases how they don’t). For the most part the user experience looks pretty good. I myself have tried out these lanes, and found them to be nice and wide, and work very well.

submit Bike Lanes On Harvard Ave, Video to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in infrastructure, video | 13 Comments »

13 Responses to “Bike Lanes On Harvard Ave, Video”

1. By Aaron on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

First video is a bit confusing. . . The “bike lane” appears to be the only travel lane for ALL vehicles. . . Isn’t that the same as every other regular road?

2. By Boston Biker on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

aaron: those are sharrows, they mean “share this lane” the road was not wide enough for a good bike lane on both sides, so one side has a sharrow.

Sharrows are relatively new road markings, but are gaining popularity all over the country.

3. By Aaron on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I suppose it serves as a nice reminder for motorists who fail to realize that ALL roads are legally sharrows. Seems unnecessary, but if it saves lives then I’m all for it.

4. By mtalinm on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I guess I don’t get the point of sharrows. I get honked at all the time on sharrowed roads but never on roads with bike lanes. My bet is that half of drivers dont’ know what a sharrow is.

5. By Boston Biker on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

most drivers don’t know what sharrows are, but as they become more widely used they will. Change takes time.

6. By Paul Schimek on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

FYI, the official term is “Shared Lane Marking,” not “sharrow.’ It’s even in The Manual — http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part9/part9c.htm#figure9C09

I get honks and yells rarely, but frequently on roads with bike lanes (or adjacent to bike paths) if I am not using the “bike facility”.

7. By BB on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

For the SLM or Sharrow your suppose to ride over the marking with you bike.

This is an added benefit because it keeps you out of the door zone.

8. By J on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes, the sharrows are for newbies. Newbie cyclists who ride too close to parked cars, and newbie drivers who dont understand that bikes should ride in the middle of the lane.

The bike lanes look very nice. I wonder how it was decided which direction would get the bike lane and which one would get the sharrows.

The only problem appears to be near a crosswalk, parking is marked as legal right up to it, thus blocking viability. There should have been a 5 foot buffer.

9. By John W. on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Glad to see the sharrows in the MIDDLE of the lane, where they belong, and not on the ride side. Decent job by the city, and yay bikes!

10. By Taylor on May 19, 2010 | Reply

THANK GOD. I live right off of this road and use both the bike lane and the “sharrow” every day. I park in a lot across Comm Ave. and keep my bike in my trunk (I’ve got the Montague Navigator that folds up to fit in the trunk of my car/closet) http://www.montaguebikes.com/navigator-folding-commuter-bike.html and I love riding home from work-toward Comm-in the bike lane. Since Allston has so many cyclists, Harvard Ave. has NEEDED these for some time. Props, Mayor Menino. I’m thinking about getting a single speed/fixy next-seems to be a trend that’s really catching on. I like Montague’s BOSTON a lot with the flip flop hub so I can have it both ways…
    Ride Safe!

11. By Boston Biker on May 20, 2010 | Reply

dude, I am really happy you are commenting on the site, but do you really need to spam every comment with an ad for your bike company? We do sell ad space for real cheap, and just as an fyi the comment section links are all tagged no follow so you wont get any google juice for this either.

12. By mahler9th on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

I keep wondering when these vids were taken. Harvard Ave is always so congested whenever I am on it, early Sunday am maybe? :)

2. Jun 12, 2012: Mass Ave to get bike lanes - Phlog