Globe Talk: Safe Or Savage? The State Of Bicycle Safety In Boston

Written by Boston Biker on Jul 29

Got this in the email, looks like it could be informative:

Globe Talks:

Safe or savage? The state of bicycle safety in Boston

Join a few of Boston’s leading cyclists and policy makers to discuss bike safety around Boston and the efforts to make biking in the city easier and more accessible.

The event will be moderated by The Boston Globe transportation reporter Martine Powers.

Panelists:

• Nicole Freedman, City of Boston’s Boston Bikes director
  • Vineet Gupta, Boston Transportation Department’s Director of Policy and Planning
  • Richard Fries, former professional European racer, world-class race announcer and race organizer, and local commuting advocate
  • Josh Zisson, bike lawyer and BikeSafeBoston.com blogger
  • Jackie Douglas, director of the Boston-area transit advocacy group Livable Streets

DATE: Tuesday, July 30

TIME: 6pm – 7:30pm

LOCATION: The Boston Globe | 135 Morrissey Blvd. | Boston, MA

www.bostonbikesafety.eventbrite.com

submit Globe Talk: Safe Or Savage? The State Of Bicycle Safety In Boston to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in advocacy, education | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Globe Talk: Safe Or Savage? The State Of Bicycle Safety In Boston”

1. By vpMA on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Morrisey BLVD?
    Can you get there by bike or T?

2. By mouthbreather on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

short walk from JFK/UMASS stop on red line. not really bike accessible, though.

Wish I could go.

a few things I would bring up:

a large number of people on bikes in the southern part of the city are kids – and most of them ride on the sidewalks. on-street infrastructure (in the rare places it exists) is still not safe for them (and what about bike safety being taught in BPS?).

sharrows suck – I’d prefer to go at a casual pace and not get all sweaty riding with traffic – roads without dedicated lanes means I better move with traffic or motorists will buzz me on my left and sometimes come up along side and push me to the right no matter how far out into the lane I ride. although – I could be going 25 MPH in a 25 zone and still have people try to pass me.

can someone do something about speeders in residential neighborhoods? also why are large vehicles (non-buses) allowed to be on the same roads as main bike corridors? – either we need to relocate main bike corridors or ban large vehicles during peak cycling hours.

road conditions Washington Street in Roslindale are horrible. The forest hills improvements cannot come fast enough. Mass ave is pretty bad too (not to mention all the cars parked in the bike lanes).

Hyde Park Ave is completely unsafe for cyclists since motorists speed through there – sharrows are planned there, but a cycletrack is needed.

3. By Eric Herot on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Having this conversation at the Globe’s headquarters (which is basically on a highway) seems like a pretty effective way to make sure that no bicyclists show up.

4. By KillMoto on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I went. There were a lot of cyclists there who arrived by bike (judging by the helmets). I was in transit from some vacation in RI and got dropped off at BC High. Did the mad “frogger” dash across all 10 lanes of traffic. Definitely a model for unfriendly streets.

The sidewalk, though broken up a bit, was wide and adequate between the Globe and the JFK/UMASS (T) stop. Also, the road crossing “beg buttons” work fine, and fast (I test them wherever I go, mua-hua-hua-ha-hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa…..h!).

5. By Ron Newman on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

I’ve biked there. The main problem is no obvious object to lock the bike to once you arrive.

6. By Callum on Nov 17, 2014 | Reply

Usually I don’t read post on blogs, however I wish
    to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it!
    Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great article.