You may remember our post about the Governor’s transportation funding proposal, which quadruples the level of funding for bicycle and pedestrian projects. On Thursday, House Speaker Robert DeLeo is expected to unveil his plan to fund transportation, which will most assuredly differ from the Governor’s plan. Too often, funding for biking and walking becomes a bargaining chip in transportation funding discussions. We can’t let that happen.
We need you to contact your legislators today and tell them to fully fund transportation – including bicycling.
You can help by doing the following:
- Email your State Senator
- Email your State Representative
- Email House Speaker Robert DeLeo (Robert.DeLeo@mahouse.gov)
- Email Senate President Therese Murray (Therese.Murray@masenate.gov)
- Cc Action@MassBike.org on all your emails, or send us a message telling us who you contacted.
Don’t know who your legislator is? Find out here.
This action alert is being coordinated with Transportation for Massachusetts, a coalition of organizations of which MassBike is a part. Please join others across Massachusetts in emailing and calling legislators to urge them to fully fund transportation. We are asking that you emphasize the importance of bicycle and pedestrian funding. Some points you can make:
- The safety of our roads is non-negotiable. This funding is crucial to better protecting bicyclists and pedestrians.
- At a time when gas prices are rising, obesity and diabetes are shortening life expectancy, and rising sea levels threaten our coastal communities, we can’t afford not to invest in biking and walking.
- This plan is about the future of the Commonwealth. Bikeable, walkable neighborhoods and town centers need to be in our future.
If you don’t have time to write personal emails, you can use the Transportation for Massachusetts automated system by clicking here. Thanks so much – as usual, we couldn’t do it without you.
Tags: act now, bicycle infrastructure, massbike, Transportation
Posted in advocacy | 2 Comments »