Charlestown Removes Existing Bike Lanes!

Written by Boston Biker on Dec 06

EDIT:

The Charlestown Patch has pictures and more info.

Before

After...

—————————————————-

I got this in the email today? Could a city really be foolish enough to remove already installed bike lanes?

Looks like the newly installed bike lanes on Main st. were removed over the weekend. The city apparently removed them because members of the Neighborhood Council, after a meeting in November, insisted that Charlestown did not want or need bike lanes. Guess they would rather have residents pay extra taxes to paint/remove than to get out and bike.
lame.

Can any one confirm this? If this is true, it is by far one of the more idiotic things I have read recently. Thanks for the tip Craig.

EDIT:

More good info from the comments:

If the Neighborhood Council was responsible for the change, they’re the ones who should hear from us. You can find all of their emails at http://www.charlestownbusiness.com/cnc.html.

The Chairman is Tom Cunha: [email protected]

Also, the City Council rep is Sal LaMattina: [email protected]

EDIT:

Of all the dumb shit, whats wrong with these people?

It has just been confirmed for me that Charestown removed existing bike lanes, because they didn’t think they were needed? Seriously this is some stupid shit. How can the city be claiming that it has this big bike plan in place, and then allows the neighborhoods to remove bike lanes? And what exactly are they going to replace them with? More parking? More car lanes? I bet that will help cram some more cars into Charlestown, which is exactly what that place doesn’t need.

When are people going to wake up and realize that the one thing that is poison to an urban neighborhood is more cars. Its time to design a city based on people, not on cars, and nothing is more of a human scale transportation option than walking and biking. You can’t have more walking and biking if you do dumb shit like waste money on removing existing bike lanes.

And where was the city on this? Can someone explain to me why Charlestown is able to remove bike lanes? Isn’t the city in charge of this? How does removing existing bike lanes fit into their plan to install a bunch more lanes? Should we count this as negative miles of bike lanes?

Also why in the world would you pay to have existing already installed bike lanes removed? Did the city look around and figure since it has solved all of its other problems it could use all that extra money laying around to remove the bike lanes? Seriously walk around Charlestown, there are plenty of things that could have been spruced up if they have some extra cash laying around.

This is a disgrace, and Charlestown residents should be ashamed that they are lead by such shortsighted leadership. The city of Boston has some serious questions to answer as to why they allowed this to happen.

Does anyone have any pictures of the removed lanes, I would love to post a shining example of just how poorly our tax dollars are being spent.

EDIT: Ok I am trying to track down all the parties involved in this, was anyone actually at the meeting in which they decided to remove the lanes? Does anyone have pictures of the removed lanes (scrap marks on the pavement?), can anyone find exactly where (preferably on a google map) these lanes were before they were removed? I have sent word out to my contacts, and am waiting to hear back, but I figure you all ride as much as I do (or more) so maybe one of you has seen or heard something.

EDIT: Got this from the comments

The Charlestown Neighborhood Council is hosting its monthly meeting at the Knights of Columbus. Come air any questions or concerns you’ve got. Meeting starts at 7 p.m.

Its a bit last minute, but perhaps we could get some cyclists to ride over and let them know how foolish a choice they have made.

EDIT: Another update from the comments

If you’re unhappy about this, you should probably let the City know. Maybe if they get enough feedback, they will realize the mistake that they made:

Nicole Freedman, Boston Bikes
[email protected]

Tom Tinlin, Boston Transportation Commissioner
[email protected]

Mayor Menino
[email protected]

Make noise people, this was a foolish choice, and we can’t let them think it was anything else.

EDIT:

Seems they removed the bike lanes at 4am…which was lovely for nearby residents apparently.

At 4 a.m. I awoke to the sound of a truck and a sander-type machine under my bedroom window on Main Street. Seems they were UNDOING the bike lanes that were painted in the dark of night a few weeks ago by GRINDING THE PAINT OUT OF THE STREET. No cop – no permit (I asked when I went out to yell at them), and no sense of professionalism when I asked them to stop. Lots of paint dust all over the street, parked cars, and into the environment. The guy said he had a permit, but couldn’t produce it. Told me, “Go call the City.” Calls to the Mayor’s Hotline and BPD didn’t help. The work continued down the street for hours – NO ONE SHOULD BE AWAKENED IN THE WEE HOURS BY ANYTHING BUT AN EMERGENCY VEHICLE !!! Someone really goofed on this one. (via)

EDIT:

MassBike has given their view on this

And the patch has pictures (see top)

submit Charlestown Removes Existing Bike Lanes! to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in advocacy, infrastructure | 52 Comments »

52 Responses to “Charlestown Removes Existing Bike Lanes!”

1. By wenzday on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Charlestown is completely retarded. I also can’t believe the city backed down and is actually spending taxpayers dollars to scrape the paint off the street.

I think we should stage a protest.

2. By William Furr on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Bad bike lanes might be worse than no bike lane at all. But I can’t imagine that’s the case here. So many reactionary idiots out there.

I was driving with a trailer this past weekend and can’t fathom why anyone *chooses* to drive in this traffic nightmare here.

3. By 3.14159 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Gone, baby, gone.

The Neighborhood Council had a meeting on November 30 about the 4-week-old bike lanes. I was unable to attend.

The next morning, the bike lanes were gone. I’m going to write this again: The next morning, the bike lanes were gone.

Minutes from the meeting should be available here sometime soon:

I’ve seen it claimed that bike lanes in Boston cost $50-60k per mile. I assume it costs even more to have them removed. This was a huge waste of taxpayer money.

Ok, now for some hyper-partisan right-wing hate speech from me:

-Was the lane installed with stimulus funds?
    -Was the lane also erased with stimulus funds?
    If yes, was it known ahead of time that they were just going to erase the lane less than a month after painting it? Anyone seen any union bosses with a new Audi A6 lately?

-Good thing Massachusetts voted down Question 3! If the sales tax had dropped to 3%, there wouldn’t be enough fun money next year to spread around on pointless busywork like this project. Taxes don’t go down in this state, and bullshit rises proportionally.

-I’m taking the whole lane for the rest of this month in protest.

4. By Boycott Charlestown on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Dear Charlestown,
    My daily commutes will no longer be via through Charlestown.
    Due to your short foresightedness and lack of public safety concerns, I will no longer make purchases at your local beer stores on my way home, because i will not be commuting through your town. I will no longer visit any of your bars, as much as I may miss them. I will no longer go out for dinner at any of your restaurants. I will no longer shop at any of your stores. I will tell all my tourist visiting friends to not bother going to the USS Constitution and bunker hill because your town doesn’t need bike lanes, therefore do not need our tourism dollars. You do not deserve my money spent in your town because you seem to forget bike lanes serve a purpose, it can save a life. I will despise you even more after the Zakim Bridge fiasco in which you refused to name to new bridge after a Civil rights leader and instead wanted to call it the Bunker Hill Bridge. So a compromise had to be made, the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge. It really should just be the Leonard P. Zakim Bridge. You will no longer receive any revenue dollars from me due to the removal of key Bike lanes. My decision is final and can be reversed with Bike lanes repainted.

-A cyclist that no longer supports your community

5. By Fenway on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

How was there not a public comment period before the removal of the lanes? Honestly if anyone gets hurt cycling where the lanes were removed they should sue the city.

6. By Ron Newman on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I assume this was on Main Street in Charlestown? When I last saw the bike lanes (still incomplete), they were shoehorned in between a single travel lane and parking — similar to what you see on Beacon Street and Somerville Avenue in neighboring Somerville. Removing them will not add any parking or any more travel lanes, so what is the point?

7. By Maggie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Shouldn’t we be upset with whatever government entity that decided to act (installing the bike lanes) before a public comment period?

As for the comments about boycotting Charlestown, I think you will be punishing yourself more than Charlestown, & in the case of Old Ironsides, you are punishing your tourist friends.

The BunkerHill Bridge issue was more complex than you seem to realize. It is a shiniing example of the needs & wishes of Townies taking a back seat to those of “outsiders”. This is not to denegrate Lenny Zakim in any way. And everyone should recall that the problem was created by “outsiders” & the compromise was worked out by Townie, Father Dan Mahoney of St. Francis de Sales parish.

The Charlestown Neighborhood Council works to advocate for what’s best for Charlestown & her residents. Why don’t we wait for all facts before judging?

8. By JJJJ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Maggie….what facts?

Did the presence of the bike lanes harm charlestown in any way at all?

That’s the only question that needs to be asked.

9. By Dan Pugatch on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

as someone who was hit by a car on that street WE DO NEED BIKE LANES

10. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The problem is there was no public comment period before the lane was put down. Where it was put down (on part of Main Street) only serves to draw bike commuters on to Main Street. If people want to commute through Charlestown it should be on Rutherford Avenue.

11. By jthandle on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Maggie,

I would love to hear the facts, too. I don’t understand why removing newly painted bike lanes is in the best interests of Charlestown, a.k.a Boston, which is my neighborhood. I’m pretty ticked off.

12. By jthandle on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

QQ,

Why would a cyclist choose to ride on Route 99/Rutherford Ave instead of on Main Street? Route 99 has a higher car volume as well as cars travelling at a higher rate of speed?

13. By Charlestown Resident on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ugh, as a Charlestown resident, I’m so embarrassed by people in this town. I don’t bike (but go for runs alongside my kids when they bike) but was so happy to see the bike lanes. I saw in the Patriot-Bridge (local paper) that one business woman said we need more parking, not bike lanes. However, bike lanes didn’t take away a single parking spot, so I don’t get it. My apologies to all those who were hoping to bike through Charlestown — we’re not all idiots here, I promise!

14. By Ron Newman on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Why would someone bike on Rutherford Avenue when they could use pleasant Main Street instead? Don’t you want bicyclists to ride through your business district and perhaps stop at a store or restaurant along the way?

15. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather commuters passing through Charlestown on their way to work use a thoroughfare other than Main Street – too many cars use it already to pass through the town bike lanes would just bring more people onto a road that is already over-used. Maybe a lane or path on Rutherford or Medford Street would be better.
    Where the lane was was not particularly beneficial to Charlestown Bikers unless they live in Mishawum.
    All of the new traffic plans for Charlestown (Rutherford Ave & Sullivan Square) seem to be based on making it so bad for car traffic passing through Charlestown that commuters from Somerville & Everett (including everyone avoiding the Tobin/tunnel tolls) in the short term that they learn to avoid Charlestown and use 93 or some other route. Maybe after all that Main Street will be a good place to have a bike lane.

16. By Ron Newman on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Main Street is a quiet and pleasant rode for bicycling (even without bike lanes), while Rutherford Ave. is a 45-mph divided highway that no bicyclist would willingly choose. Why would you not want the bicyclists to use Main Street? I live in West Somerville and often use Main Street in Charlestown to bike to downtown Boston.

17. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Well then if Main Street is perfectly pleasant without bike lanes why would we need them?

My point is: Main Street is a clusterf*ck in the morning and afternoon. To encourage more commuters (bikes or cars) will add to the cluster.

Keeping commuters (bikes and cars) from outside Charlestown off Main Street will be a benefit to local traffic and safer for local bikers and would actually benefit local businesses.

18. By tom on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

For those that care to voice their opinion:

19. By cycleops on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

We ought to consider first that bike lanes already exist in the sense that bikes have the same rights to the existing roadway without need for special designations. If we venture too far down the path of insisting on bike lanes everywhere it will not be long before bikes are restricted to using only bike lanes. And that will be very very bad.

20. By Boston Biker on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

QQ: Bike lanes would only serve to slow traffic, and increase the number of cyclists, both of which would reduce out of town commuters. Cyclists also tend to spend more money at local businesses (because it is easier for them to stop and buy stuff), so your argument doesn’t seem to hold much water.

Cycleops: This is not about insisting on lanes everywhere its about a city paying money to remove existing lanes, a foolish waste of money.

21. By dotriderblog on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I guess the city rep for Charlestown didn’t get the Mayor’s memo about being a bike friendly city. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more push back from the similarly positioned community ‘leaders’ in Dorchester. Of course we don’t have to worry as the contractors never FINISH their jobs there… We have definite examples of property owners refusing bike racks in Dot though so it isn’t a fete accompli’ by any stretch that the city’s mind is completely switched onto the bike agenda. Can’t believe we didn’t get a chance to refute their rquest. How about a RIDE IN TO CHARLESTOWN? I’d love to organize 100+ riders and BLOCK the road in question. Any takers?

22. By Charlie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nicole Freedman, Boston Bikes
    [email protected]

Tom Tinlin, Boston Transportation Commissioner
    [email protected]

Mayor Menino
    [email protected]

23. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Boston Biker: Slower Traffic would actually deter people from coming to Charlestown to spend money. Yes bike commuters may spend more then car commuters while passing through a town. But the fact is Charlestown residents don’t want the town treated as a means for people to get into the city.
    Commuters of any kind certainly don’t spend as much as locals or those who would drive or bike here specifically to shop or eat.
    And it’s not that there shouldn’t be an avenue for bicyclist to be able to commute on, I just don’t think it should be Main Street.

As for the city – it is ridiculous that there was no public process before and not much process after they were put down (it is equally ridiculous how efficient they were removing the lane as opposed to the myriad things that need fixing around town).

dotriderblog: the best way to support your cause is to have like-minded people (from Charlestown preferably) show up at the Neighborhood Council meeting and contact their City Councilors. If you think a bunch of people who don’t live in the town – or most from outside the city – block traffic here is going to win hearts and minds in Charlestown you know nothing about Charlestown.

24. By JJG on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The Chairman is Tom Cunha: [email protected]

Also, the City Council rep is Sal LaMattina: [email protected]

I live in Charlestown and ride my bike to work a few times a week. When the bike lane appeared I was psyched. Yes, it made me feel a little safer. Its absence won’t change where I bike, but it does seem ridiculous to pay for its installation only to remove it. Was there nothing better to do with that money?

25. By Charlie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

QQ, Main St is currently the most bike-friendly (really the only) route through Charlestown. More bikes on Main St should really have very little impact on motor vehicle traffic congestion, since they will have their own lane.

Overall though, more bicyclists on Main St is good for Charlestown, especially since car parking is in such short supply. Commuter bicyclists would be likely to stop at local businesses on their way to/from work. But more importantly, bicyclists who want to go out in Charlestown and patronize the businesses outside of their daily commute would be more likely to come. And since they don’t take up car parking spaces, you leave more spaces open for locals or those who do choose to drive.

So with bike lanes you get:
    – More potential customers passing through on their commutes on bike
    – More potential customers seeking out Charlestown as a destination to shop/eat/etc, arriving on bike (some of whom may have previously driven to Charlestown in a car)
    – No additional impact on car parking since these new customers wouldn’t have cars with them
    – Little to no additional impact on traffic congestion

Sounds like a win/win to me.

26. By cmolway on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

good to see my Monday observation has caused a bit of outrage here. :) Yes the line and sharrow markings have been grated down. There was even a post on the Charlestown community forum from a woman who was pissed the contractors did it at 3am no less.

Dear QQ,

As for your comment about using Rutherford Ave, you obviously do not own a bike, or if you do, you haven’t tried to ride it down that street–just preposterous.

I will continue to ride daily down main street on my commutes to Boston. Except now instead of riding in a bike lane that did not take up a lane or impinge on road-side parking, I will do so in the middle of the road, forcing traffic to slow down behind me or travel into the oncoming lane to pass me.

you’re welcome.

Here’s the lastest from the Charlestown Patch: http://charlestown.patch.com/articles/bike-lanes-removed-after-complaints-from-neighborhood-council

27. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

cmolway:
    My point about Rutherford Ave was as an option with a lane or a devoted path. I never said that bicyclists to ride 65 mph in the middle of the lane.
    Planning for a Rutherford Ave. (as well as Sullivan Sq.) redesign is in the works now.

I am saying there is room to make things right for everyone. But commuters who pass through the town, don’t pay taxes here and don’t vote here should not be the priority. It’s not your business – If your daily passing through is more difficult, who cares? The Gator Ade you buy at Store 24 or the chardonnay you sip at Figs will not put a penny in my pocket.

I don’t think a bike lane is going to lead to a daily parade of prancing unicorns crapping gold into the streets.

28. By cmolway on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

wouldn’t be surprised if this makes the news this week.

29. By mtalinm on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

folks, remember that this forum is public and non-cyclists may form their opinions of the cycling community based on what is written here. even if you are shocked and surprised by this action, try to be civil when commenting on it.

30. By Charlie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

But QQ, what about the local residents who do pay taxes and do vote there who also may want to bicycle? Are you willing to deny them a safe street in order to keep out-of-town bicyclists away? What about out-of-town pedestrians or motorists? Should we rip up the sidewalks to keep them out? Or close the street so that people can’t drive their car into your neighborhood? Perhaps we should put “resident-only” checkpoints at either end of Main Street?

I want to understand where you’re coming from, I really do. But so far I’m really confused.

31. By Ben Carsley on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Boston Biker Users,

My name is Ben Carsley and I am writing a story about the removal of the Charlestown Bike Paths for the Your Town section of The Boston Globe.

I’m looking to interview people affected by the bike lane removal, and would love 10 minutes of your time.

If interested, please contact me at [email protected].

Ben Carsley

32. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Charlie my point is that a bike lane on Main Street is primarily for commuters. I believe it only ran inbound From Bunker Hill to Austin Street – not very useful for people who live here. Yes Charlestown resident for or against the lane should have the final. The dialogue should not be driven by people who simply cut through the town on their way to work.

There should be a real discussion about where bike lanes should go & what impact they will have.

33. By Boston Biker on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

QQ: You seem to have a real “us vs them” attitude when it comes to streets in “your” town. If you don’t want people commuting through your town, stop all the streets at the town line, and build a wall. Streets are a system, and it seems to me your entire basis for complaint is invalid. The streets of Boston are a network, and those networks connect, and I am almost certain that the number of cyclists going down main street every day, bike lane or no bike lane, had nearly 0 effect on traffic.

It was a total waste of money for the city to paint, and then remove those bike lanes, even if every resident in town didn’t want them, there is still better things to be spending money on than removing them. Leaving them in would have done almost nothing, taking them out is going to cause a nice big embarrassment for Charlestown.

34. By Charlie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

QQ,

Bike lanes appeal no more to people going through an area any more than to people who are beginning or ending their trip there. Until Rutherford Ave is redone to be more bike friendly, Main St has and will be the primary route for bicyclists through Charlestown. But that is not a bad thing! Studies have shown that adding bike lanes helps businesses thrive by bringing in more customers without burdening car parking. And local residents benefit by being able to travel in their own neighborhood via bike if they so choose.

The dialog was not driven by people cutting through town. It was driven by the City of Boston (the Mayor’s Office, the Boston Bikes Program, and the Transportation Department), who are working comprehensively to make the entire city safer and more appealing for bicycling. A major part of this effort is installing bike lanes on main streets throughout the City. These efforts are designed to appeal to residents and visitors alike, so that EVERYONE will have more opportunities to bike, should they so choose.

It’s really rather sad to see such negative reactions to bike lanes. In my neighborhood, people were very happy to see them, since we had a lot of people who wanted to bike but didn’t feel safe, and others that were biking already but welcomed the addition of bike lanes to make it even more pleasurable. And in the business district near where I live, we see hundreds of bikes parked on a regular basis. The local businesses are thriving because of it!

35. By QQ on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Boston biker:

Streets are system that is true. But not every street is the same nor does it serve the same purpose. Would you put a bike lane on the 93 overpass? Would you let large trailer trucks down small residential streets?
    It is true that I think the decisions should be made by people most impacted – the residents of the town. That’s the way it should be in any town.
    Bottom line there should have been input before it went down & more before it was sanded off. But now that it is gone and everyone is all of a sudden interested in Charlestown we should discuss what to do next and not just beat our chests and call names.

36. By MattyCiii on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I usually commute between Boston and Medford via Rutherford Ave. From now on I’ll take Main Street. And without a bike lane suggesting to me and the cars behind me that I should be riding in the Door Zone, I’ll take the whole lane, thank you very much. I’ll take it, and I’ll take it slow.

Thanks, Townies!

37. By Charlestown Resident on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the email contacts. I’m a non-biking resident of Chartlestown who was in total support of the bike lane and have let my elected officials know I think a mistake was made when the bike lane was removed.

38. By Lyzard on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

“The Car is NO LONGER KING in Boston” — Mayor Menino’s declared 4/21/10

yeh right!

39. By cmolway on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

QQ,

I think you are missing the point. The action to remove the lanes was done without public comment. It was also enacted with the haste rarely seen in a public works project–so quickly that it bears wondering if the CNC did it “under the cover of night” to avoid any local public reaction to the vote to remove them. It was removed hours after the vote. I have never seen a public works project bidded out and completed so quickly in my life.

40. By Lucas on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Boston Biker:
    This story and many others like it have been gaining wider readership as they are controvertial and inflammatory. Links to this blog/site are found on universalhub.com, massbike.org, various local news websites, boston.com, and I’m sure many others. Though it may not have been your intent when you began this website, your posts have become the defacto voice of the greater cyclist community. As a cyclist who wishes, as much as the next guy, to improve conditions for bicycles around the city, I feel that its time for you to craft your posts more as an informed journalist or at least and educated activist instead of a young hot-head with a chip on his shoulder. Using terms like “lame” “idiotic” and “dumb shit” does little to reach across the aisle. Please consider that many of your readers and supporters don’t wish to be associated with the senseless online banter that non-cycling readers see when they visit this site.
    Please consider taking a different tone.
    Thank you.

41. By mtalinm on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

my point exactly, Lucas. MassBike’s post struck the right tone

42. By Ron Newman on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

A WBZ-TV reporter phoned me after seeing my comment either here or at UniversalHub.com, so I biked over to Sullivan Square, talked to him, and rode up and down Main Street a couple times for the camera. They told me the story might run on tomorrow’s 11 pm newscast.

During the 15 minutes while the reporter and I tried to find each other, I saw at least 10 other cyclists, despite the cold and darkness (this was after 5:30 pm).

43. By Ray on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Dan,

How would bike lanes have helped you avoid being hit? I don’t get it.

44. By daisy on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Let’s not go over the top blaming Charlestown–some of my best friends live in Charlestown, as they say. The problem continues to be the lack of a Bicycle Plan with policies and plans for bicycle facilities and education. The city said it was going to prepare a plan for bikes 18 months ago. Where is it? And what is the Bicycle Advisory Board doing? Does it even exist? Can’t find nuthin on the Boston Bikes web page about any current planning and projects (except the publicity PR pieces)…

45. By Timmy on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I actually find most bike lanes (of the kind that was on Main Street) to feel more unsafe than no lanes at all. If there’s not enough room in Boston’s narrow rights of way for a cycle track or the like, then don’t cram us into an unsafe part of the street just for the sake of creating a lane. I ride on Main Street in Charlestown all the time and am frankly happy that lane is gone.

It’s a pretty simplistic notion to equate all bike lanes with good. Don’t forget that bad bike lanes are bad for cyclists.

46. By gmook on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

sometimes, you take a lane, sometimes you lose a lane. That’s how it rolls in Boston.

47. By Boston Biker on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I would just like to remind everyone that I see what IP you are posting your comments from, so it might be useful to disclose any conflict of interests you might have when posting comments.

For instance if you work at city hall, and are posting about something it might be useful to say “i am not representing the city of boston’s points of view” or “I am representing the city of bostons point of view”

Also I can also tell when you use a different name and post comments as two different people…

Just saying

48. By JJJJ on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Boston Biker, sounds like a mini-wiki-leak is in order

49. By Jennifer on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I’m so frustrated that the lanes have been removed. As a life long Charlestown resident and avid bicyclist I was thrilled with the lanes on Main Street, as was my family. It’s really too bad that the lanes were removed, and I’m sure at great expense to tax payers. Not quite sure how people think the lanes decreased safety or parking spots, but I’m willing to hear the other side of the argument, of course. Let’s keep this discourse civil- I am a proud Townie and don’t agree with the name calling.

50. By Ron Newman on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

WBZ-TV filmed me Tuesday evening and ran their story on Wednesday night’s 11 pm news. They had me ride up and down the removed lanes a couple of times while filming me. The story is now online here, as both text and video:

2. Sep 12, 2013: Boston Biker » Blog Archive » Southie Bikes Response To Canceled Bike Lane Meeting
  3. Apr 4, 2014: Boston Biker » Blog Archive » Cyclist Killed By Hit And Run In Charlestown