Eric Hunt’s Ghost Bike And Memorial Service

Written by Boston Biker on Apr 09

If you would like to send flowers to Eric’s funeral the information is below. I think it might be nice if the cycling community could send its best wishes to this family in this hard time.

St. Mary’s Catholic Church
783 Dartmouth St
South Dartmouth, MA 02748
(508) 992-7163
[email protected]

More pictures here and here.

Also I read this in the globe today:

“MBTA officials said cyclists have not complained to them about the trolley tracks in that area.”

Lets let them know we don’t like those tracks, anyone who has ever crashed on these tracks please contact the MBTA today and let them know they are dangerous.

Complain Here

And Here

And Here

And here

And Call this number 617-635-4500 and let the city know you think they are dangerous.

Lets make sure they know we think these tracks are a menace.

EDIT:

The Funeral home that is handling Eric’s funeral has an obituary page up where you can leave messages (here the page is a little strange, click on new bedford, then Eric’s name) Lets leave some nice messages.

Eric Michael Hunt, 22, of Dartmouth died Wednesday April 7, 2010 unexpectedly at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Born in New Bedford, the son of Atty. Thomas R. Hunt of Dartmouth and the late Diane M. (Giasson) Hunt, he lived in New Bedford and Dartmouth for most of his life.

Eric was a student at Wentworth Institute of Technology, currently in his final year.

He was a graduate of Bishop Stang High School, where he played soccer and was a member of the Drama Club. He was President of the Wentworth Sailing Club. He was a former camp counselor at Camp Massasoit. He enjoyed sailing, skiing, bicycling, and computers.

Survivors include his father, Thomas and stepmother, Annmarie; his brother, Kevin R. Hunt of New Bedford; two stepbrothers, Daniel Harren of Melrose and Owen Harren of Norton; an aunt, Kathy Townley of Dartmouth; three uncles, Eric Giasson of Somerset, Gregg Giasson of Cumberland, RI, and Michael Hunt of North Attleboro; and several cousins.

His Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Monday at 10 AM at St. Mary’s Church, South Dartmouth. Burial will follow in St. Mary’s Cemetery. Visiting hours will be on Sunday from 4-8 PM at the Saunders-Dwyer Home for Funerals, 495 Park St., New Bedford. For directions and guestbook, please visit www.saundersdwyer.com

You can leave a message here

EDIT: I talked to a witness today that told me that Eric had crashed on the tracks and was then struck by a bus while trying to stand back up, this is in direct conflict with what the police are saying…I still don’t know what happened, but it sounds like it might not have been as simple as passing a bus and falling under the wheels.

EDIT: Got this email today. Seems like a good idea.

Hey everyone as most of you had already heard weve lost another member of
our community this wednesday due to a questionable collision with an MBTA
bus in Boston, and though the circumstances of this tragedy are still under
investigation it doesent really matter who was at fault. Every one of us
faces the risk every time we go out riding in this city and I believe it
would be very appropriate to dedicate this months Critical Mass to his
memory. Perhaps a moment of silence or some home made signs and t shirts,
Im not sure but we are a close knit community and should pay our respect in
the best way we can. You can feel free to email me with any suggestions I
will be personally taking that friday of work to join everyone else in the
ride to raise awareness of our presence on the road and will be riding a
neon green dual shock mountain bike, dont be shy and say whats up. And
remember to be extra cautious when commuting around town.

submit Eric Hunt’s Ghost Bike And Memorial Service to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in advocacy, news | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Eric Hunt’s Ghost Bike And Memorial Service”

1. By Charlie on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

This brings up an interesting and often debated issue. Streetcars are great for transit, as they are more comfortable and attract more riders than buses, but tracks in the roadway can be a hazard to bicyclists. On the one hand, we all want great transit, but on the other hand we want streets that are safe for bicycling.

Streetcars are gaining in popularly across the US. Does anyone know what cities are doing to reduce the hazard to bicyclists?

2. By Boston Biker on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

charlie: I am thinking that with a little road layout mojo this section of Huntington could be improved greatly.

I am convinced that trolleys and bikes can live in harmony.

I don’t want to remove the green line, I want to make sure that everyone can use that section of the road safely

3. By Ben Patience on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Bikes and Streetcars can absolutely live in harmony!

When it comes to bikes and streetcars we need look no further than the mother of both modes: Amsterdam!!

Portland OR has the most progressive attitude towards modern streetcar development in North America and was also recently voted the USA’s # 2 most bike friendly city by Bicycling magazine.

Certainly Boston and other cities can learn from those 2 places.

Perhaps the biggest problem in Boston is that we give too much space on the road for automobiles, and not nearly enough room for transit and cyclists.

4. By i love espresso on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

here’s the letter I just sent the MBTA:

hello – i am writing to address the MBTA’s comment in the Boston Globe coverage of Eric Hunt’s death that the T has “never received any complaints about the trolley tracks.”

Here is one.

Seven years ago I was bicycling along Centre St. in Jamaica Plain. A bus was at a bus stop and to go around it I had to cross the trolley tracks. You guessed it, my tire got stuck and I kept going, flying off my bike which remained in the track. I ended up fracturing my shoulder and knee, with a black eye to boot. Luckily the bus had not left the stop. [The bus driver was very kind and asked if I needed help.]

So there is my complaint. Now you have one. Seems rather silly to have to send one as I imagine there is very little that can be done except to remove all parked vehicles that are next to trolley tracks, to create a bike lane. Or to remove the trolley tracks, which seem as much a feature of the street as the other vehicles and the asphalt itself.

Sincerely, Janice Zazinski

5. By Dan Pugatch on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

I’ve complained to the MBTA before over the phone and by email over the past 3 years about those tracks.

I suggested to them moving the tracks to a part of the street separated by a curb so cars/bikes don’t have to deal with them (basically move the trolly to the far left or far right.)

6. By meaghanq on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I was also quite shocked when reading the boston.com article that the MBTA had no complaints about those tracks. My husband and I both had accident due to our wheels getting logged in the tracks on Huntington/South Huntington. I just send the MBTA a formal complaint.

Such a sad story.

7. By Kevin Hunt on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I would like to thank all of the biker community for all there support. Eric was my little brother and my backbone. I can’t begin to describe the pain his loss has caused us. I am overwhelmed and can’t say anymore than THAK YOU SO MUCH.

8. By mjh on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Thank you to the biker community. Eric was my nephew. I was at Huntington Av on Friday, I was very touched and moved by the memorial.
    Thank you again for your support at this very sad time.

9. By Lae on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

I am Eric’s aunt. Eric was one of the kindest person I know. Always want to help and never want to be a burden. I know there’s a greater purpose for you leaving us so soon. I will make sure your little cousins will know your story. We will never forget you.

10. By Attorney Thomas R. Hunt on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Eric Hunt was the singular most unselfish,
    caring and compassionate individual I ever had the pleasure to meet.

I know. I’m Eric’s father.

To those individuals in the Boston cycling community who erected this memorial to my son
    I am grateful beyond words.

Tomorrow as Eric is laid to his rest his family will be comforted by the actions of the
    bicycling world.

11. By catherine on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

sending much love to the brave members of the hunt family. he sounds like such a beautiful person, be proud of that, and of your part in nurturing him.

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
    — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

12. By john on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

how long will eric’s ghost bike stay for? I would like to go by and am just wondering.

13. By Erika Roderick on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for putting this page up for Eric with all the links. I was a witness to the accident, my thoughts go out to the family. It has been really helpful and therapeutic to read all of this information and posts from other bikers, friends and family members. I am not a biker myself, but now believe strongly in the push for safer streets. I hope for everyone’s safety, life is such a precious thing.

14. By Paul Schimek on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Erika, did you see Eric before he had his unfortunate fall, or only after he fell? How did it happen?

2. Jun 5, 2012: With Disaster Brings Opportunity; How We React to Kelsey Rennebohm’s Death on Huntington Avenue | Daniel Allan Sullivan