Winter Cycling Open Thread

Written by Boston Biker on Nov 25

Got a question about how to stay warm, what to wear, how to ride in the slush.  Ask them here and I (and everyone else), will do our best to answer them.

submit Winter Cycling Open Thread to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in education, Questions | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Winter Cycling Open Thread”

1. By Ashley on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Any suggestions on chain lube for the winter? And if it’s wax based can I switch back to non wax based if need be?

2. By Charlie on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

I generally wear the following:

- One fewer or lighter layer than what you would normally (you should be a little cold for the first 5-10 minutes biking). My general guide is a light jacket (or thin windproof/waterproof jacket) between 30 degrees and 50 degrees. For <30 degrees, a regular winter jacket.
    - Gloves if it's 35 degrees or below
    - A thin hat under my helmet if it's 30 degrees or below
    - If it's raining or snowing (or the road is slushy or has a lot of water on it), waterproof rain pants over my regular pants
    - My sneakers are relatively waterproof. If it's snowing and I expect there to be a lot of snow on the ground when I'm walking, I wear waterproof work boots.

That's it really. With the exception of the waterproof rain pants, none of this is bicycling-specific gear.

3. By geoff adams on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Merino wool Buffs. Two of ‘em. One on neck, scootched up to cover face. One on head, doubled up. Both overlap ears. Way more comfy – and chic – than balaclava.

4. By BostonBiker on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

@ashley I don’t switch to another kind of lube, just use tri-flow all winter. however I do wipe my chain down more, and re-lube after salty/slushy days.

See the winter bike maintenance guide in the side bar for more tips, but basically you just need to wipe your bike down a lot more.

5. By Kil on Dec 2, 2013 | Reply

6. By Kil on Dec 2, 2013 | Reply

Agree, I use triflow all winter and am also big on wiping after fresh snow and salt.