BU Police Remind Cyclists They Need To Follow The Rules

Written by Boston Biker on Oct 01

Cue the gnashing of teeth, in five four three two…

Over the three days BUPD officers were stationed along Comm Ave, they stopped a total of 152 cyclists and gave 10 of them a $20 citation. About half of the offenders were members of the BU community, and some were stopped more than once. On Wednesday morning, three of the five people given tickets had been pulled over on Monday.

The safety campaign will continue this week and any cyclist stopped for a violation will receive a citation.

Read the entire article here.

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with this, they do targeted car enforcement all the time.  The fact is you have to follow the rules, get over it.

Thats how I feel, leave your thoughts in the comments.

submit BU Police Remind Cyclists They Need To Follow The Rules to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in advocacy | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “BU Police Remind Cyclists They Need To Follow The Rules”

1. By mat on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

totally agree. was holding my breath for an anti-police screed :-)

2. By Peter Smith on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

I, too, agree completely. Everyone should follow the rules all the time, because rules are rules.

Signed,

MLK, Gandhi, Rosa Parks, Che Guevara, Fred Hampton, The White Rose, etc.

3. By Moopheus on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

This is a typical police pattern–there’s a relatively tough crackdown on scofflaw cycling for a few days, then they will go back to the usual nonenforcement for the rest of the year. This wasn’t even city police–just campus police, who have limited jurisdiction. What’s needed is regular, uniform enforcement.

4. By William Furr on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Must be something in the water. There are signs for a “bike enforcement area” between Newton Center and BC. I hope they are also keeping the bike lanes cleared.

5. By Charlie on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

I’m a big fan of more enforcement in general for everyone. There are a lot of rude and/or ignorant people on the road who think they can just do whatever they want, regardless of their impact on anyone else.

6. By Erik on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Well, the stated goal here is education. I wonder if education would be better served by having the cop literally walk into the bike lane when the light turns red and lecture the cyclists each time, rather than trying to trap them in a “sting.” The TSA has “barkers” telling you what you can and cannot do. How about the BUPD?

If BU took a zero-tolerance policy to double-parking on Comm Ave, that would go a LONG way to improving the safety for everybody, as well as improving the traffic flow. It would take literally one guy on a bike riding up and down Comm Ave to accomplish this, perhaps with a few “No Double Parking – NO EXCEPTIONS” signs.

7. By Mark on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

How do the BUPD have jurisdiction over a public road such as Comm. Ave? I thought that they were campus only. Also, if a non-student received a ticket, how is that enforced by the BUPD?

8. By Terrier Alum on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Erik– as a former BU student, I think that the parking situation on Comm Ave needs to be dealt with first. I was never a cyclist when I was a student but even I, a dedicated pedestrian, could tell that cars were the biggest problem on Comm Ave. I don’t disagree that BUPD should be enforcing traffic law with cyclists (scofflaws give all of us a bad name) but I do doubt that equal attention is being paid to the absolutely insane drivers who frequent Comm Ave (or to oblivious pedestrians, of which there are far too many on campus).

(Mark, I believe that BUPD is a legit honest-to-goodness police force, not just campus cops, and can make arrests/give tickets/etc on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods. At least, that was always my understanding.)

9. By John on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

BitsByBike posted a response to the crackdown: