Another Crash At The Common?

Written by Boston Biker on Apr 08

I just got another tip that there might have been a serious crash near the common today around noon? Anyone have info about this?

Be safe out there people.

EDIT:

Got this

This is so sad. I just passed by the aftermath of what looked like a pretty bad crash. At the intersection of Charles st. And beacon st. At the corner of the common there. Police lines around a car with it’s windshield smashed in. Cannondale road Bike on the side of the road with it’s front fork and wheel snapped off entirely. Looked like it was maybe a head on collision. Anyone have any more info? Thoughts are with them, hope they’re alright. Stay safe everyone.

EDIT:

Picture from FLICKR with the caption: “Boston Common: A bicyclist got completely destroyed by a car. Blood on the streets. Police cordon off the area”

And this tweet seems to indicate the person was killed, we don’t know though.

“Please be careful on your bicycles. There was another cyclist hit and killed today next to the common. The scene is horrific!”

More Tweets on this here:

EDIT:

From the picture above it looks like a car was turning left to go up the hill and someone smashed into it head on. What I don’t understand is why the car is on that side of the street pointing up the hill? That intersection is light controlled, and it looks like he made the turn really sharply…hill+speed+car going the wrong way could have resulted in this crash. More details as I get them.

EDIT:

Got some picture of the crash, warning some are kind of gruesome.

Image credits:
C. Van Arnam (so biker can find witness if needed).

From the witness

“would you believe 6 mos + 1 day ago i was hit in a crosswalk (pedestrian) ?! so hoping the guy made it too.”

The captions are from the witness.

right after accident

can see Asian couple and runner dudes who stopped to help. we directed dudes to sbux to wash their bloody hands.

windshield

Bloody puddle on street.
(warning graphic image click to view)

bike on left is a biker who stopped, bike on right is the back half of victim's bike. front half was found up beacon street.

EDIT:

Just got this

“Just went near here ~10 minutes ago, further up Beacon St. towards the state house. The westbound lane from Park St. down to Charles St. is closed off, traffic is still going up the hill eastbound. Asked two officers if there was a fatality and they both said they weren’t sure. Either way. having things closed off for this long can’t be a good sign. ”

EDIT:

It would seem from the pictures and reports that this may have been car driver error, and I really hope this guy is ok.

EDIT:

Just got a report that the cyclist struck has died…This is horrible.

EDIT: FU Fox news…Seems now they are saying that the cyclist didn’t die….I will wait till I know for sure till I report something new.

EDIT:

“The 37-year-old unidentified man had life-threatening injuries” Hopefully this means that the cyclist is still alive. I also like this article because it does lay out how rare these kind of horrible crashes are, but still urges safety. (via)

EDIT:

Herald has this image of the crash (don’t read the comments, it will make your head explode)

This picture continues to make me think that that car has no business being at the angle that it is…I find it impossible that a person could make that kind of dent in the front of the car without the car being pointed up the lane the wrong way.

submit Another Crash At The Common? to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in news | 40 Comments »

40 Responses to “Another Crash At The Common?”

1. By catherine on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

yes, i came across the accident scene right after it happened, biker was reportedly conscious despite no helmet but had lost a lot of blood from big cut on head. he was lying in the middle of the street, on the crosswalk. was hit by a black accord or the like which had an almost-shattered windshield. bike was in two pieces. would welcome tips on how to get pix i took of scene to the biker.

2. By JohnO on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Was just down there @ 2pm. Tape is still up.

3. By Elizabeth on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Was there when it happened, was the most horrific noise. Man was face down in the street but moving his arms when taken into the ambulance. Car was going about 10-15 mph, and took the left onto beacon too sharp. People responded very well though and the ambulance was there in no time. Praying for his recovery.

4. By grimlocke on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

please oh please oh please let him be ok. I had JUST stopped crying about Eric Hunt before I read this.

NO HELMET??!?! AArgh.

5. By cyclostat on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

I hope he’s OK. Man, just when I was feeling really optimistic about this next year.

6. By stemcellular on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Jesus, another incident. Prayers going out to this guy.

7. By paola on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

This is so disturbing! I got hit by a car on February 4th at the intersection of Commonwealth Ave and Mass Ave, and I am struggling to get back on a bicycle… these news are not encouraging. I was very lucky that my injuries were minor, and must credit my helmet for protecting me from severe injury. Although I am phisically well, the shock is powerful and emotionally debilitating… what comes AFTER an accident doesn’t help either.

I am sending him my prayers, and beg you all to be safe out there.

8. By Marianna on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

I kinda wish there was some like bostondriver.org where we could all post our wishes that everyone DRIVE safe out there.

9. By patrick on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the reporting and please keep it up. It’s really important that bicyclists in boston have a reliable source of information.

Best wishes for this rider, and condolences to Eric’s family.

10. By Sarah on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

So very very sad…
    It’s definitely been an emotional couple of days..
    I certainly hope this young man is okay.
    Condolences definitely going out to Eric’s friends and family.
    How tragic…
    And no matter how we all feel about the MBTA…please think about the driver in yesterday’s accident… they will forever have this marked on them… How indescribably awful they must feel.

I must say, it’s very disappointing that this incident hasn’t been talked about on the news today. I’m glad to see so many supportive people posting here.. The news websites have some of the most awful, vicious comments posted on them toward cyclists…
    It’s nice to know we have a safe haven to grieve with one another.

11. By teeheehee on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

This is sad news on top of sad news. Thank you, Shane, for covering this and providing links/info. Wish you didn’t have to.

12. By nowhere on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Very sad indeed. Hope he is ok and recovers. Cars drive too fast, text while driving or not paying attention or feel that they are the only ones that matter on the road. Sorry to say but this goes out to both car drivers and cyclists alike.

Can both cyclist and car drivers please read up on traffic rules.

I was lucky to grow up in a country where this is taught in sixth grade in school. Then again for our driving license test which we do not get until 18. Too often I see both cyclist and car drivers alike not following the rules. Too many cyclist with no lights no arms signals indicating to driver what they are doing next,sometimes riding on the road and then on the sidewalk and then again on the road.Cars drivers getting too close to cyclist and trying to pass them not sure how to ride next to a cyclist.

We all have to be more alert and respectful to one and other. Oh yes lets not forget to stop talking, texting etc while driving.

13. By clprosnitz on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

I came after the accident too and unfortunately got a look at the scene as the police were investigating. The bicycle was split in half, the metal came off the part holding a wheel in place. The wheel that came off was not on beacon street, but was on the hood of the honda civic that hit the biker. The wheel was INDENTED in the vehicle and bent in half. I seriously have never seen a car have that much damage without hitting a car. It was horrifying… I am surprised there wasn’t very much blood…

14. By hoon on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

stay safe everyone.

15. By fibrowitch on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Sad to hear the cyclist died. As I look at the pictures taken from the accident I count at least 3 cyclists without helmets, and one rider wearing flip flops. Safety gear is never an option.

16. By becareful on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Hi,
    I came out of the Starbucks right after it happened. I stood and watched as the paramedics put the man on a flat board to carry him away to the hospital. I talked with the driver of the car, as I happened to be standing in the middle of the scene. She said that she had a green light, and was turning left ot go up Beacon. The biker, who, incidentally was not wearing a helmet, biked (fast) down Beacon, to get the light. I want to be clear that I did not see this happen, but want to put my 2 cents in from my obsercations and experiences on transportation in the city. I know from living in Boston that pedestrians will cross the street when the light is a red hand (“stop, don’t go” ) and the cars are allowed to drive; I know there are fast drivers, who dart in and out the streets; and that there are bikers who take risks (biking in between 2 lanes of cars, biking down Charles st, which does NOT have a bike lane in the OPPOSITE direction of traffic, speeding down hills, and not wearing helmets etc.) The point I am making is that this city is dangerous for both drivers, walkers/pedestrians, and cyclists. Be careful. I feel sad for the couple whose car was in contact with the bike, because when if one is a part of an accident, it is scary and makes you feel horrified. Their windshield is completely cracked all over the front- think of what it would be like to have a man on bike that close to your face. And I am also sad for the apparent pain of injury of the man who lost so much blood and whose bike is totalled. I hope that both parties sort out the accident, and that they are both physically and emotionally healed soon.

17. By Boston Biker on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Becareful: Can you explain why that car is in the wrong lane? Sort of like it was taking a left hand turn way way way too sharp?

I am pretty sure the people in the car will recover from the shock of having someone fly through the windshield faster than the person who’s head smashed into it will.

Also, as dumb as it may sound, adults are not legally required to wear helmets. In the same way that adults are allowed to smoke, eat fatty food, or date mates that are lousy, some people choose not to wear a helmet. it is not a flaw that indicated who was at fault in an accident.

From those pictures it seems that there are some very important questions that need to be asked. Mostly placement of that car on the road.

If they DID have the green light and they were pulling out to make a left then the biker should have run right into the side of the car, not the front, and the car would have been sort of perpendicular to the right hand lane, not pointing down it like it was going the wrong way down the street.

I will hold off judgment till more details come in, but as it looks now it looks very fishy.

18. By rideofsilence on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Is there any interest in doing a Ride of Silence next Friday? (the 16th) Two major cycling collisions in less than 24 hours is really hammering this home.

19. By Boston Biker on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

ride: every year in may massbike does a big ride of silence, but perhaps we could organize something else? Or maybe there needs to be two this year?

I don’t know, but I like the idea of a ride of some kind.

20. By rideofsilence on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

I know about the ride in May which is a national, not MassBike, event. I think the situation in Boston is bad enough that we need to call attention immediately.

21. By catherine on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

“Yesterday, another rider was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after a crash with a car at Beacon and Charles streets at the edge of Boston Common, Boston police said. The 37-year-old unidentified man had life-threatening injuries, police spokesman Eddy Chrispin said last night. Chrispin said the man underwent surgery, but he did not know his condition.”

22. By catherine on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

also:

23. By Jay on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Looking at the position of the car and the yellow divider, looks like they cut some corners. Admittedly, there is no clear view of the car’s position.

24. By Christian on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

First. These two biker have been and will be in my thoughts. I ride every where. EVERYWHERE… I also have a car that for the most part, stays parked. I have been waiting for the green light before, only for it to turn and start moving forward when a biker comes flying thru at the last second. I had the right of way and if i had been one of those people who speed off the line once the light turns green i would have hit this biker. I see this all the time. while in my car or on my bike.
    We need to think while we ride. Bike lanes WON’T help. They stop cyclist from thinking. Too often biker get a false sense of security in bike lanes and get hit by doors, people parking, etc. Finding out if the driver or biker is at fault won’t change that lives have forever been effected. DRIVERS: be patient with cyclist. They are not in your way to ruin your day. share the road and don’t pass them within inches. They also help keep down pollution and traffic. CYCLIST: Always be aware!!! Some drivers just think we are a pain in the ass. Be defensive and aggressive. You’re on a city street not a bike path. you are a vehicle on the road and the thought that you have the right of way will not save you from those drivers who don’t have patients or don’t pay attention. make yourself seen. DRIVERS BE SAFE. BIKERS BEWARE.

25. By Swirlygrrl on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Nowhere, MA has such poor requirements for both written and road tests that you would have to retake the full driving exam and road test if you went to certain other states or to any province of Canada. Nobody here – cyclists who have MA driver’s licenses or drivers – actually had to know anything important or comprehensive about the road rules to get that license. All they had to know was how to parallel park and what the fines for junior operators are. I am wondering how we can start requiring retests for renewals and basic comprehensive testing per national standards in MA. I’m totally sick of it.

26. By Swirlygrrl on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

becareful, you do realize that car drivers are legally obligated to turn in their own lane? Not into a “convenient” lane – the lane consistent with the lane they are in?

The photos make it appear that that driver failed that basic bit of road rules knowledge, too.

27. By Beanboy on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

It is a tricky intersection. Coming from Charles St., you have to cut across oncoming traffic lanes at angle to go up Beacon; the brick pedestrian island doesn’t let you fully cross the downhill traffic lanes before turning left like you would in a normal intersection.

As far as knowing if the car cut the corner even more, it is tough to tell as others have already stated.

Please be safe out there no matter if you ride, drive or walk.

28. By Beanboy on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Looks like the car was in the correct lane based on the video I saw. Was close, but was clear of, the yellow line as well as the stop line for traffic heading downhill/outbound on Beacon St.

29. By CLK on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Beanboy, where did you see the video?

30. By Sema on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

i think we should dedicate aprils Critical Mass to Eric Hunt, and have some sort of a moment of scilence before we take off.

31. By Mappy on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Here is the picture took after accident showing the car was in the correct lane. And for sure, the picture show that the biker hit windshield in the passenger side, not a driver side.

32. By Mappy on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Here is the link of the car position.

33. By mook on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

34. By Tricky on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

After looking the available photos (particularly the third photo from the top) and consulting aerial photos of the site, looks like the car’s more or less where a car turning left at that intersection is supposed to be.

Bicyclist coming downhill on Beacon seems to have been to the left of the two traffic lanes, somewhat daring but I am assuming within the bounds of legality.

It should boil down to who had the green light.

35. By Pete Stidman on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

The point of any law around bicycle accidents should be protecting lives, and drivers should be held responsible for nearly any situation in which they hit and injure or kill a cyclist. No motorists should be reaching the kinds of speeds necessary to kill someone at that intersection, where hundreds of pedestrians and cyclists are crossing every hour.

Also, I’ve often wondered why that left hand turn off of Charles has such a wide turning radius, which lets cars whip around it while dozens of pedestrians gather at the curb and all kinds of people are crossing to reach the park.

36. By Pete Stidman on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

As a friend of mine has found out in a most unfortunate way, if a driver can prove a cyclist is 50% at fault for an accident, the driver cannot be held culpable for it. But I think this law should be changed to reflect the fact that cyclists are far more vulnerable. This would have the effect of making motorist more cautious wherever cyclists might appear.

There are a number of improvements that could be made to that design.

37. By Pete Stidman on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

oops! sorry to post twice!

38. By JohnO on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Any update on the condition of the cyclist?

39. By catherine on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

what JohnO said!

40. By Dcycle on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

Update: this rider happens to be someone I know. After reading so many supportive comments I decided to post here to let you know that he did survive. He has had extensive surgeries, and just recently has been release from the hospital (since april!). His recovery is awe inspiring (and I do have to thank all the doctors at Mass General who truly performed miracles). He has been left blind in one eye and has substantial scars in his face and frontal lobe. But he is alive, speaking and walking. Thank you so much for all your prayers. We all wish him the best as he continues his recovery.