Snow Ride Open Thread

Written by Boston Biker on Jan 28

I though we would try something a little different. This post is for you to post your feelings, road conditions, ride results, etc about the lovely weather we are having today. Get it off your chest! Let us know where the bad streets are, how covered with ice you were, how much fun you had go for it!

beached_bicycle.jpg

submit Snow Ride Open Thread to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in bostonbiker, fun | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Snow Ride Open Thread”

1. By Chris Piascik on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

At around 9, the snow was just starting to pick up but the roads weren’t too bad. I didn’t wear glasses today and the wind made the snow go straight into my eyes which wasn’t too much fun. I would definitely recommend glasses of some sort. Also some of the side streets have solid ice down the center of the road that is hard to see under fresh snow.

2. By veggiegoround on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

My commute was calm and comfortable. Rode my rigid mtb, perfect for these conditions except that she doesn’t have full fenders…yet. I wore my ski goggles, they are life savers in the blowing snow. The streets didn’t pose to many hazards. I only saw one other biker, though! Where you at Boston?!

3. By scott on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

I decided not to ride today. Not because of the snow, but because of snowplows. I got bugged out last week seeing two enormous plows barreling down beacon street by the reservoir on the opposite side of the road. I think those drivers are up all night, maybe a little groggy, and not seeing everything in front of them. And last night, channel 5 ran a report about snowplows causing accidents and other damage. I’ll wait until the plows get off the roads before I get back on. Hopefully by tomorrow.

4. By Boston Biker on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

I was out this morning, sloppy, slushy, but not too bad. Had some pedestrians make “poor” choices by walking right out in front of me, but was able to keep my cool, and my balance and explained to them the simple system by which when the little red hand comes up they stop, and when the red light turns on I stop. Everyone takes a turn, and everyone is happy.

I got my full rain kit with me today…and looking outside it looks like I am going to need it…boo on this weather….boo

5. By Benjamin Mako Hill on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

I wish I rode into the city after noon today and I sure wish I’d gone in early.

My studded Nokians meant the bike handled just fine. The rain and the massive slush splashing from the clogged drains really soaked me completely, though. My stuff will be drying out for a while. It was a full rain gear day but I didn’t really realize this until it was too late. If I’d left early, I think things would have been fine.

Wish I had a pair of goggles. No problems with the plows. Had a nice, short conversation with a driver of one at one of the lights, actually.

6. By pedalstrike on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

the ride in wasn’t so bad, and i was actually looking forward to a full-blown snow storm (yes, i’m crazy).

and then on the way home, i had to bike through about 5 giant puddles while getting splashed from head to toe by passing cars. i couldn’t get out of my drenched clothes and into the shower fast enough when i got home.

7. By latron on Jan 29, 2009 | Reply

Bring it on! Love riding in winter.

8. By marthafines on Dec 25, 2009 | Reply

Merry Christmas to all… and to all a good night.