JP Bikes Meeting Recap

Written by Boston Biker on Dec 10

Got this in the mail today, if you are interested in getting involved with JP bikes hit up their google group [email protected]

A brief summary of the Dec 9 JP Bikes organizing meeting (This is not the complete minutes of the meeting)

This is to both review what we did and to help others get involved.

We are building toward a larger community meeting tentatively set for Tuesday Feb 3 at the Agassiz School.

Jeff, Jen and Matt presented 5 Action Points to assign to committees. Each action committee will meet at least once prior to the Feb 3 meeting to create its own agenda and priorities. My descriptions here are not complete, but are summaries and examples.

1 Communication and Administration, chaired by Jen Paulousky. This group will work on both internal and external communication, both in print and electronic. Other members are Joe Slag, Arienne Nick, and Greg Howard.

2. Rides & Events, chaired by Matt DeMarrais. The first project this group will be taking on will be some kind of spring community ride e.g. JP Bikes Centre/South St. celebrating no trolley tracks. Other members are Jeff Ferris, Arienne Nick, Sherry Eskin, and Bob Dizon.

3. Advocacy Committee, chaired by Jeff Ferris. This group initially is primarily focused on Southwest Corridor and Emerald Necklace paths issues.
An immediate project will be to work with Peter Furth’s Northeastern students on a set of recommendations for signage and other safety issues at the SWC path intersections. Other members are Doug Mink, Sarah Freeman, and Teresa Roberts. This committee would welcome folks from around the city (such as from RosiBikes and DotBikes) who are interested.

4. CityWide Issues, co-chaired by Anne McKinnon and Doug Mink. To deal with whatever the Mayor’s bike program is, and to work with the upcoming city bike advisory committee being formed by Nicole Freedman. Also to work and communicate with the other neighborhood bike groups. Also includes Matt DeMarrais

5. Education Committee, chaired by Bob Dizon. This group has the most wide-open agenda to create: anything from training workshops to printed material and maps. Other members are Jeff Ferris, Anne McKinnon, David Webster, and Jen Paulousky.

Of note, but not assigned to a committee: Eric Scheier of the MBTA tells me that they want to put a bike storage cage at Forest Hills Station. I presume this would be similar to but smaller than one recently installed at Alewife Station. Eric will be looking for some community input, but no details yet.

So, if you weren’t there last night, please communicate and sign on to a committee!
I think we all agreed that JP is a great place to bike. There is a lot of excitement and enthusiasm for making Boston a better place to bike, and to help more people share our joy of riding bikes in Boston.


submit JP Bikes Meeting Recap to reddit.com Add to Reddit.


Tags: , ,
Posted in advocacy | No Comments »

Post a Comment