Did You Ride Today? The Life Of A Daily Office Bicycle Commuter

Written by Boston Biker on Mar 08

I get asked the above question, almost every day.  Nice sunny days, cold rainy ones, and today.  And the answer is always the same “yes.”  I am one of those crazy people who likes riding their bike to work no matter what the weather is doing outside.  As they say, there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Now before you get your dander up, yes I know that my choice to ride every single day no matter what is not practical, or even recommended for everyone.   There is no bar you have to meet in order to be a cyclist.  If you only want to ride when it is nice, go for it!

With that caveat out of the way, let me just say this.  ITS BEEN A BLAST!  This whole week has been amazing for riding.  It’s not too windy, the roads have been mostly in good shape, the whole city seems to have stayed home making the roads less crowded. The whole town is beautiful when hidden under a couple inches of snow.

Its been fun watching my coworkers look of surprise when I tell them I rode in. Plus I get to work an hour faster than them, and I didn’t have to shovel a car out.

I have been so happy with my commutes the last couple days, whistling and smiling the whole way in.  Its gorgeous outside, and the temps are high enough that you don’t feel like your face is going to shatter.

Anyone else been doing the daily snow slog?

submit Did You Ride Today?  The Life Of A Daily Office Bicycle Commuter to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in Commuting | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Did You Ride Today? The Life Of A Daily Office Bicycle Commuter”

1. By emannths on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Stayed home with the kiddo today. But I love commuting in all conditions because of the challenge! Sunny and 70F on a bike-only path would be too boring for me.

I’ll admit, though, that those 33F super-damp days we get sometimes aren’t much fun.

2. By ben on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Yes, coworker who still asks, I did ride today. Just as I ride every day. The answer is not going to change based on the weather.

I didn’t find it bad out today, and, like you, I find the days with ‘extreme’ weather to be the most exciting. I actually caught myself whistling for most of the ride!

3. By Dotbiker on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Man it was the ONLY way to go on Thursday in Dorchester as the wiched high tides closed Morrissey Blvd and all the automobiles had to head for the hills. There were lines of backed up cars and my Dahon and I soldiered on past them. Today was a bit thick and I had an errand at Down Town Crossing so I must admit to taking the T, but it’s the first day all winter I didn’t ride. I still might make a Post Office run later.

4. By Jonathan on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

My coworkers are also baffled by my indefatigable nature when it comes to the commute (JP -> N. End). I too get excited for my ride to and from work on days like today. Kudos again to the city/DCR (not sure who is responsible for it) for plowing the SW Corridor this morning. I actually rode right behind a Bobcat for a stretch. Studded tires are such an amazing addition to the commuters’ arsenal and in fact I’ve decided that I prefer to ride on ice than snow, as the traction is far superior and it’s much less of a slog. Go figure. See you on the streets at 5:30!

5. By Cecily on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Generally speaking I don’t mind riding in any conditions (I have one tough little bike that doesn’t slow down in any weather, and mentally I don’t care much about cold/wet as long as I’m dressed well), but there’s two exceptions: strong wind and sickness. I’m a small person with a light bike and strong winds can be incredibly dangerous for me, so in those cases I tend to take a train. And I’m a transplant from the south, so while my head doesn’t mind the cold/slow, my immune system hasn’t fully adjusted yet and if I’ve just gotten off of a cold or the flue (like now!) I do not ride because that’ll get me sick again real quick.

6. By Rebecca on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been going on an 8 mile bike ride nearly every day since December. The only thing that has stopped me has been snow covered roads and downpours on busy streets. Sixteen degrees out? No problem. I only went for a short ride on Wednesday,it was very gusty out and pushed my bike some. It has been lovely biking when it is very cold out. The trick has been not to wear too much clothing. I’ll usually remove a layer half way through my ride.

7. By Nonstop biker on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Always ride my bike; except when I am on a street that the snowplow hasn’t cleared yet ( if the snow is piled high, then I walked the bike through it). :-) I love riding all year; it keeps me young at heart, in shape, and more money in my pocket! Ride safe everyone.

8. By Nonstop biker on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

9. By Alan (Uncle Robot) on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Heading out of the Arboretum yesterday afternoon as I exited the paved roadway onto a packed path my front wheel sunk in and threw me into a snowdrift. An airbag of snow caught me :)

10. By latron on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

The only thing that stops me from riding is getting sick, and I don’t get sick. Snow is the best time, and studded tires make all the difference. Here’s a shot of my bike on Saturday, with 10″ or so of snow on Minuteman Bikepath — unplowed. What a blast!

11. By latron on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

The only thing that stops me from riding is sickness, and I almost never get sick. Snowstorms are the best, and studded tires make the difference. Here’s my bike on the Minuteman Bikepath on Saturday, with 10″ or so of snow — unplowed! What a blast.