Florida Police Training Video

Written by Boston Biker on Feb 12

Not bad really, some of the laws are different there (for instance you don’t need to ride in the bike lanes if there is one here), but the message is good. I wish there was something like this for our police force.

submit Florida Police Training Video to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in advocacy, video | 13 Comments »

13 Responses to “Florida Police Training Video”

1. By cycler on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

How about “recreation and transportation” instead of “recreation and survival” But yes generally, pretty decent. I kind of disliked the emphasis on how wobbly bikes are, but I think that they made it clear what kind of hazards can lurk in the shoulder, and why a bicyclist might want to be in the middle of the lane.

2. By Mark E. Martin on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

That is really one great video. It appears to be aimed at those who largely drive and seldom ride, thus the emphasis on “instability” and the various needs to take the lane. As mentioned in the video caption, with the exception of the “mandatory sidepath law,” i.e. if there is a bike lane a bicyclist MUST use it, the information should be good in almost any jurisdiction. Thanks for sharing this!

3. By Robert Seidler on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

I am the producer of the two programs and thanks for the comments. I can too create a version for Boston pretty easily. My daughter is a resident of your fine city and I up there often. Feel free to contact me at 850-524-6216 Robert Seidler

4. By terry on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

I’m going to give phone # Nicole Freeman and see if Boston Police video could be produced. Now that would be AWESOME

5. By brad on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

What would be AWESOME is if the Boston Police were truly empathetic to the cyclists who drive on the edge and sometimes must merge into the adjacent lanes to get where they are going.
    I’m curious if Boston Police really accept the tenents of “community policing”. Will a rep. from BPD read from a script or is there really a Boston Police officer who has ridden amongst us and fully understands how it pragmatically is not simply “same road,same rules”.

We need equitable treatment from the police not equal.

It appears from other cities such police officers exist. Seen any Boston lately?

6. By brad on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Not as much overt empathy in the Chicago Police video but hard to criticize the specific direction to enforce violations AGAINST cyclists with the traffic code #’s to put on tickets to motorists.

2. “Traffic Enforcement for Bicyclist Safety” 13 min video

A training video for Chicago Police Officers created in partnership between the Chicago Police Department & The Chicago Department of Transportation. Funded with a grant from the Illinois Department of Transportation Division of Traffic Safety

7. By terry on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Brad, Given your feelings for cyclists who in their quest to “prove I AM TRAFFIC” will perform the circle of death in intersections hoping others will join them: A Ferris Brother at a Wheel Cycle shop in Jamaica Plain ironically suggests you watch a short youtube video titled

blues brothers run over nazis

beware this is theoretically racist and is not meant to demean your thoughts on the new world order

8. By JonT on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Are you sure there isn’t already something like this for MA police? According to MassBike (see http://massbike.org/resourcesnew/bike-law/bike-law-update/ ), the Bicyclist Safety Law that Gov. Patrick signed in 2009 called for a police training curriculum to be developed, and MassBike was helping to develop that curriculum.

Does anyone know how that portion of the law was actually implemented?

9. By brad on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Good questions and who exactly would have written the curriculum?

I only see bicycle mounted police in my town on 4th of July celebrations but maybe in Boston there is a much greater use of bicycle mounted police.

Helping to define their role and making conscious the reality of riding on the edge of Boston/ Massachusetts streets is certainly something MassBike and other cycling organizations might like to participate in.
    Are you a member of MassBike?

10. By Koula on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for posting this video, Boston Biker! As a Jacksonville, FL based bicycle advocate, I have seen this video before and I agree that it’s a good tool. In Florida, the 3-foot law is rarely enforced, and though I don’t have statistics to back that up, a local officer involved in bike/ped issues is hard pressed to find more than a small handful of 3-foot violations in my city. This video is a step in the right direction, and I’ve seen other very recent efforts made by Florida DOT and the Jacksonville Transportation Authority to turn around our status as the most dangerous state for bicyclists and pedestrians. I’m intrigued that Boston’s reputation turned around as quickly as it did, and I’m hopeful that Florida will turn around as well– slowly, but surely.

11. By brad on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

I heard a true story about three unsuspecting bicyclist from Massachusetts who cycled to Montreal for International Cyclist Day.

Bicycle Group Le Monde Bicyclette “convinced” them (with twisted logic) to help embarrass Montreal Government by showing how easy it is to paint bike paths that the government said SHOULD happen but continually could not find the money to fund.

So much fun to paint “Nous voulons des pistes cyclabes” up and down the major north south east west corridor at midnight.

The press was in on it and praised the effort of “Local citizens” taking direct action.

In appreciation, maybe someone from Montreal could make Boston a video if we can’t find the money? or doesn’t the world work like that?

The Bike coordinator for Chicago is Canadian and might have been living in Montreal (or was that his brother?) in 1980. Ben Gomberg has made some pretty good videos using friends and family . My current favorite is “Bike on the Street, Not on the Sidewalk” . Ben and his two children can be seen 59 seconds into the video.

http://www.chicagobikes.org/public/staff.php is the url you could find the link to 9 video’s

12. By Stephanie on Mar 2, 2013 | Reply

This is a fantastic video and needs to be shared with the public more than just someone like me clicking on things to just check what is about.Do you show this to people getting licenses/renewing? I think it would help everyone all around.

2. Feb 15, 2013: Boston Biker » Blog Archive » Streets Are A Public Utility Designed To Move People (Not Cars)