Good Job Boston!

Written by Boston Biker on Jan 22

IMG_20130122_081442

I think its time we put Boston into the same category as those famous cycling towns that pedal through any type of weather nature can throw at us (I am thinking Montreal, Northern Europe, Minneapolis, etc). I think last years mild winter showed a lot of seasonal riders that with just a little preparation they can ride all year, and I have been seeing the signs of a growing all weather ridership.

If you have been thinking about riding all year, you will be in good company.

Way to go Boston!

submit Good Job Boston! to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in bostonbiker, Commuting | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Good Job Boston!”

1. By Nicole on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I was counting cyclists on my ride in this morning and got up to 25 rolling (and a few more locking/unlocking) in the 3.5 mile ride.

2. By TurkeyWatch on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

The trick yesterday and today was staying out of the bike lanes, since they were icy in places and covered in loose salt everywhere else.

But I was also surprised at how many other cyclists I saw around.

3. By Dotbiker on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Only one other rider seen on my ride today compared to a half dozen plus on a normal day. SALT on the road is ridiculous! The dust thrown up by passing vehicles is harder to put up with than breathing cold air… Not to mention the coating on my bike. YUK!!

4. By Ben L on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I’m seeing more people commuting to work/school now that it’s cold than on a beautiful summer day. Things are indeed changing here in Boston.

5. By mouth breather on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I rode through where that picture was taken last night. I was passed by someone who had their bike lit up like a christmas tree. also – it was cold.

6. By Michael on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Ben L. here. This winter, I’m riding with more people on my current commute than I was riding with in the fall/spring 2 or 3 years ago.

I really do expect bicycle transportation numbers to be unprecedented, for Boston – come the nicer weather.

7. By Rachel_on_a_bike on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

My bike is filthy, but four season riding is really wonderful. It’s still surprising to me how many other riders I see out there this time of year. There’s definitely a nice camaraderie among the winter folks, because I have more conversations at red lights than I do in the summer- the topic of layers is never exhausted.

8. By mouth breather on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

@Michael:

Agreed – I think we’ll double numbers within the city in the next year or two.

btw – what bugs me is that when people talk about cycling numbers, they only talk about % mode share within the city proper – greater Boston has something like 30,000-35,000 bike commuters. For an area about the size and population of Queens, this is about 10,000 more than the total number in the entire city of NYC. Portland, OR, btw, only has something like 15-16,000 bike commuters within the city (about 22,000 in the metro area). 6% mode share just sounds more impressive.

2. Jan 23, 2013: Headline Roundup | Boston Streets