Do You Support Cycletracks On The Full Length Of Becon St In Somerville?

Written by Boston Biker on Nov 19

If you want to see cycle tracks on Beacon street in Somerville click here.

I support installing a cycletrack on the full length of Beacon Street in Somerville!

I believe the community can work together to find creative ways to preserve parking for businesses and residents by improving parking regulations and sharing Beacon Street’s many parking lots, and thus be able to install a cycletrack that will help reduce cyclist injuries.

Full petition here.

submit Do You Support Cycletracks On The Full Length Of Becon St In Somerville? to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in advocacy | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Do You Support Cycletracks On The Full Length Of Becon St In Somerville?”

1. By Erik on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I hate riding the cycletracks on Vassar between Main and Mass Ave. It’s a nonstop obstacle course of pedestrians and driveways. Unless the design of the Beacon St. one is substantially different, I’d much prefer a bike lane.

2. By Jane on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Agreed. I would take Beacon Street on my commute but don’t because of the pavement; I won’t take it because of the cycle track if that’s how they go.

3. By Brian on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Agreed re: Vassar cycletracks – I actually feel like they’re some of the most dangerous terrain I ever ride (although that’d be mostly fixed by dropping them below sidewalk level), and they don’t have curb cuts to support where I need to turn off of them anyway.

I’ve also heard mutterings elsewhere that the traffic study indicating that removing a lot of parking on one side of Beacon St. is pretty flawed, but I don’t know that area (or the study) well enough to comment.

4. By mark on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Cycle tracks are not so much for current cyclists as future ones– if we want lots more people to take up bicycling this is the way to go. If we want to limit it to the young, mostly male, and brave– then bike lanes work just fine

5. By Chip on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

The cycletrack design as proposed is incredibly dangerous to cyclists, even if it looks safer. Cars pulling out of side streets are not going to stop where the cycletrack crosses, they’re going to stop at the street, creating a huge hazard for any cyclist going much over a walking pace. I’m all for creating bicycling infrastructure that encourages more people to ride, but this is not the way to do it.

6. By Jane on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I don’t really buy the cycletracks-create-bike-commuters argument. I’m a woman who only starting biking a year ago, and figuring out how to navigate stuff like this wouldn’t have encouraged me. Getting to work faster than the T was my main motivation. I’m sure it’s not true of everyone, but it sure is for me.

7. By Erik on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

If the cycletrack were separated from pedestrians by something more substantial than a “brick inlay,” I might consider it a good idea. Given the Vassar St experience though, it’s pretty clear pedestrians don’t realize that a different color on the sidewalk indicates that you might encounter 20mph cyclists.

8. By DKB on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t ridden on Beacon St recently, but it WAS very bad pavement. I’d much rather see the limited money spent on smooth pavement and, perhaps, bike lane striping (though I generally don’t much care for bike lanes).

9. By KT on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I am tired of hearing that only the “young, male, and brave” can possibly bike commute on *gasp!* real roads. It starts to feel condescending after the 8 millionth time, says this woman who has been commuting for 14+ years and feels generally fine on the streets.

Any issues I feel while doing urban riding won’t be cleared by the cycle-tracks. I know the big bogeyman fear is getting hit from behind, but the actual risk is from intersections, and cycletracks don’t protect from that risk at all (in fact they will likely make it worse because some riders will feel like the cycletrack creates an invisible force field)!

10. By kong0013XUE on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

The North Face Waist Bag is in very charming outlook for the lean zippered closure pocket at front of the North Face Bag. In stylish style made and fine crafted manufactured The North Face Outlet is also featured with mesh pocket at left side and open pocket at right side for bottle holding that make the bags practical for you. Why not come to the North Face Outlet Chicago store for choices.

11. By daisy on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Beacon Street in Somerville for a cycle track??! Are they nuts? Are they going to get rid of stores, people, cars, etc. to try to make it safe? Fix the street and don’t build a bike path where it doesn’t belong.

12. By JJJ on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

RE: Women here.

The statements that women generally dont bike and cycle tracks help increase female ridership isnt a stereotype, its a fact backed up with statistics. Go ahead, try and find a city in the US thats even CLOSE to a 50-50 split between men and women. You cant. Now look at cities that have aggressively built bike infrastructure. The more separation, the more women. The fact that you bike, means nothing. If the split is 20-80 it means a lot of women are biking, but many, many less than could be with more cycle tracks and stuff.

RE daisy. Yeah, thats right, bikes should only be out in national parks, not streets with shops and people. Also referred to as destinations for bike riders.

Folks, cycle tracks ARE safer. Thats not a theory, its been backed by study after study. New York, Chicago, DC, Portland, Minneapolis…. take your pick.

Portland just installed a new one this week

13. By Chip on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

The Portland cycletracks in the article you linked look like a much safer design, because they’re visually and functionally part of the street, not the sidewalk. However, note the lack of on-street parking. I don’t know how well that design would work on Beacon St.

14. By Joshua Decosta on Nov 22, 2012 | Reply

I just want something like Montreal.

So much fun to ride and very safe. If they can get it then why can’t we?

Parking is always going to be a difficult situation, but the reality is parking will only get worse in Boston with population increases. If the parking goes now or later, there will still be a lack of spots. Major Cities are more enjoyable without cars.

Who here that drives actually likes to drive in Boston? I know I never did.

15. By JJJ on Nov 22, 2012 | Reply

Chip, look again, many sections do have on street parking in that specific portland lane.

Chicago is also putting in new cycle tracks all over the place.

Like this one

and this one

16. By John S. Allen on Nov 23, 2012 | Reply

You want something like Montreal? Like this?

Also please consider this review of the recent study of Montreal bikeways. It was, le’ts say,, designed to reach the conclusions the authors wanted.