Cyclist Hit At Roxbury Crossing

Written by Boston Biker on Oct 24

image

More information when I get it, as always feel free to leave any info you have in the comments. Hope everyone is alright.

This from the person who sent me the picture:

“Hard to tell how she is, was strapped into a stretcher and taken by ambulance. Several cop cars and ambulances at the scene. Her bike was pulled aside. Tires were mangled. Seems like she was crossing the intersection but not sure what direction car was coming from.”

submit Cyclist Hit At Roxbury Crossing to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in news | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Cyclist Hit At Roxbury Crossing”

1. By P N on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Saw this on my commute. My prayer goes out to her.

2. By BD on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

What we need are legal protections for cyclists using crosswalks – the law is written such that the driver wasn’t violating the crosswalk law!

3. By Joya on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

rode by in the early afternoon and a cop said that the cyclist died but I can’t find any news on this event… Has anyone heard anything more?

4. By Tombug on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Just came back from Amsterdam. If a cyclist gets hit by a car there it’s automatically the drivers fault.
    Hit and kill a cyclist here and it’s a free get out of jail card.
    When the fuck is the hit and run truck driver who killed Alex in Wellesley going to be charged?

5. By yikesbikes on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sorry to hear about this.

I go through this intersection everyday and see both cyclists and drivers being reckless. Cyclists ride against the light and do not wait for the crossing signal to proceed through the intersection, and cars block the crosswalk and do not yield to pedestrians and cyclists while turning. I wonder what the situation was in this case.

I hope she pulls through.

6. By yikesbikes on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Just remembering, but I believe this intersection has a 4-way crossing signal.

7. By TurkeyWatch on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

BD- I’d say that the crosswalk law isn’t relevant. The bike path is a public way, so either the right-turning vehicle should have yielded to the vehicle to its right or the left-turning vehicle should have yielded to the oncoming traffic. See MGL 89.8. Or the vehicle making a right-on-red should have waited.

But regardless of the legal question, it’s a tough intersection because it’s hard for right-turning motor vehicles to see bicycles and vice-versa.

8. By Paul Schimek on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

The intersection does have an all-way walk phase, but few cyclists (myself included) wait for it. We don’t know what the status of the signal was, or if driver was turning from Columbus/Tremont or going straight through on Malcolm X/Tremont.

Just last week I came across a police investigation of a cyclist hit while crossing Prentiss St along the SW Corridor (right next to police HQ). Officer said it was probably “serious.” No information elsewhere. I have come across two car-bike collisions on SW Corridor at Heath St (just north of Jackson Sq).

Every morning approaching Cedar St I’m sure someone will get killed there, because cyclists get a walk light while parallel traffic has a green, and there are many left turns at high speed from Columbus on to Cedar. In the inbound direction, cyclists are on the wrong side of the road, and thus not where motorists are looking (and bicyclists are not looking for left turners behind them — and it’s not easy to do unless you come to a complete stop).

You never hear about car-bike collisions unless someone is killed or at least very seriously hurt, so you never really know what is dangerous without doing a study. As I recall, Boston Bikes found a high number of crashes on the SW Corridor from self-reported figures (although you need to control for exposure to determine relative risk).

Listen up: bike paths and cycle tracks do NOT separate bikes and cars. But they DO make intersections more difficult and dangerous.

9. By Dotbiker on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

That’s a tough intersection in what is a series of dangerous crossings for folks on the SW Corridor. Riders often go way too fast on that stretch and then cross at crazy times. That said, the only crazier moves are coming from folks in cars who go through that intersection. I nearly got biffed there last week by a guy who was a good 2-3 seconds after the light had turned and of course he was speeding up too. I’ll go another way if I have any choice as I feel safer on the road than crossing some of the streets there.