Woman Killed In South Boston Identified As Tanya Connolly

Written by Boston Biker on Sep 18

From the Herald:

A woman in her mid-30s riding a bicycle home yesterday with a friend was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer in South Boston, police said.

Tanya Connolly of South Boston immigrated from Ireland 14 years ago, friends and family said. She had lived and worked in the city ever since.

“She was full of life,” said her distraught brother, Carl Connolly, who spoke briefly after he walked out of the police station on West Broadway, where witnesses were being interviewed. “She was the glue that held her friends together. She’s definitely going to be missed”

submit Woman Killed In South Boston Identified As Tanya Connolly to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in news | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Woman Killed In South Boston Identified As Tanya Connolly”

1. By bry from boston on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

I met her at my friends st. Pattys day party… Such a shame she was an extremely nice person.. Bike riding is extremely dangerous and its hard to see them with some blindspots in your car… I’ve almost hit someone before while parking, i felt bad but its kid of their fault by riding in places that are very busy. I think busy streets are made for cars… If i was riding a bike id stick to the sidewalk.

2. By bry from boston on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

When i said their own fault i wasn’t saying that about tanya, i don’t what my statement to be misinterpreted.

3. By Sean on Sep 22, 2012 | Reply

@bry from boston
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It is in no way shape or form, kind of our fault for cycling on busy roads. Im not saying this accident was the trailer driver fault, but a lot of drivers dont pay enough attention to their mirrors for cyclists. And you cant stick to the sidewalk, the clue is in the title, they are to be walked on, and it is against the law to cycle on the sidewalk.

4. By Smokey on Sep 22, 2012 | Reply

I work down the street from this accident and it took about 12 hours to clean up the mess. It is very sad but I see bicyclists cutting through cars or taking turns without anticipating what’s coming up. Drivers should not have to constantly look in there mirrors an rear view to make sure no bicylist is cutting in or weaving around them. This distraction to a driver will make him or her hit another vehicle or even a pedestrian.

5. By Anthony Barnet on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

I am a strong believer that bicycles and vehicles are not a good match out on the roads, not matter how “bike friendly” our Mayor wants the city to be. There are way too many factors out there against cyclists and you just can’t compare a multi ton vehicle to a person on a bicycle, upon the physics of speed and impact. There was a particular case on Mass Ave. where a young woman was riding her bicycle on the bike lane and yet ended up being run over and killed by a bus. What happened was that a parked vehicle opened the door and as she tried to avoid it ended up under the bus. I wish Tanya and I had met and had a conversation about the dangers of riding bikes on the streets. I have been an MBTA bus driver for over a decade and have seen and continue to see a lot of these dangers. I am sad for Tannya.

6. By rachael sister of tanya on May 28, 2014 | Reply

You do not know what you are talking about – you have NO idea the pain this has caused our family. Tanya was an experienced driver and cyclist – she was cycling since the age of 5.

The truth will come out very soon – it was NOT Tanya’s fault.

Rachael – Sister of our beloved Tanya .