Female Cyclist Killed In South Boston

Written by Boston Biker on Sep 17

(picture via)

“It appears the TT was turning left from A St on West Broadway when the accident occurred ”

More here.

Another in a series of horrific and tragic events…more information when I get it. I hate posting these things, we must do better at protecting cyclists. My thoughts go out to her friends and family.

————–

(via)

Boston Police Investigate Fatal Pedestrian Accident in the area of W. Broadway & A Streets in South Boston

At about 3:50pm, on Monday, September 17, 2012, officers from District C-6 (South Boston) responded to an accident involving a bicyclist and a tractor trailer truck in the area of W. Broadway & A Streets. On arrival, officers located a female victim suffering from what appeared to be life threatening injuries. The victim, who had been riding a bicycle, was pronounced deceased at the scene. The operator of the vehicle remained on the scene and did make his identity known to responding officers.

The Boston Police Department is actively investigating the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident. No citations have been issued at this time.

More news here (warning graphic description of crash)

Update more video here

They reveal that it was a woman in her 30′s. Tragically young. (note they mention this website, it pains me greatly that this is the sort of event that draws reporters here, and not the hundreds of happy events that occur all year long. Be safe out there everyone).

more video here:

WHDH-TV –

submit Female Cyclist Killed In South Boston to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in news | 23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Female Cyclist Killed In South Boston”

1. By Stephen Rost on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

F the angle of a Googlr sreet view photo — there is a sign on the corner – stating… “No trucks over 2.5 tons” posted behind the truck over to the right of the rear tailight of the trailer being towed by the tractor covered in sheets.
    How much does an 18 wheeler weigh?
    33,00 pounds empty = 16.5 tons

2. By Stephen Rost on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

From the angle of a Google street view…

3. By Stephen Rost on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Though aerial shows a path of markings from the A street crosswalk..where she would have had to be struck before the dragging..

4. By elizabeth on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know the weight of that truck, I’m sure a violation will be promptly reported..
    That said, it’s a truck route, it’s been a truck route forever.. Trucks within the approved weight limit are allowed to take a left on W Broadway until they reach C Street. They must go left on C and drive down to connect with the remainder of the truck route on West First. NECN & other media report the truck as a small trailer truck, small or not, a bike is no match for a moving vehicle of any kind. My brother was on the City Point bus seconds after it happened.. he said it was grim. Please be extra aware. I’ve seen the big trucks jump the curb when they make a tight turn, I’ve learned to make LOTS of room between me and them. Be careful out there people.

5. By lisa on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Sincerest of Condolences to the family and friends! The string of bike accidents, could very well have been avoided in a very simple way. As some states have it, and I grew up with…it’s so very simple….bicyclist should be going against traffic, to the see the vehicals oncoming, thus, giving the bicyclist’s a fighting chance to get out of the way of vehical drivers, no matter what the state of the vehical drivers….road rage, cell phone addicts, drunk drivers, etc etc erc…especially in Massachusetts where many of the roads are narrow and without shoulders!!! So very simple!!! *sigh*

6. By alex on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

lisa:

That is not good advice. Riding the wrong way may make it easier to see oncoming cars, but it makes you MUCH less predictable and visible to drivers. Drivers will not be watching for wrong way bikers at intersections, driveways, etc. If there is a collision with a car, the combined velocities are substantially greater (30 mph car hits 15 mph cyclist = 45 mph collision). Finally, it’s less practical. How would you make a turn from the wrong side of the road?

Note also that the vast majority of collisions occur not from a driver overtaking a cyclist, but during a turn.

7. By lisa on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

alex, as a former advid bike rider from NY State where bike riding was taught at the schools by State troopers to follow the rules of the road on the bike is much the same oncoming or going with traffic…stop at a safe intersection and the same hand signals apply for going with traffic…as for the driveways, roads etc….the bicyclist has a better overall chance of protecting oneself from this traffic as well…you see what’s coming and do what is necessary to get out of the way….period. If you disagree…NY State may still have these rules listed…It was during the 70′s that I learned this driving method and when visiting relatives here in Massachusetts riding my bike following the road to go with traffic…it was very uncomfortable in doing so…I couldn’t see what was coming nor felt like I had a chance to get out the way of vehicals of any type. Unfortunately, I do will not debate this with you. Unfortunately, I was notified last evening that this bike rider in Southie is part of my extended family….so bear with me when I say…I stand by my conviction as I have with any bike accident where the cyclist is hurt or killed…the bicyclist in the state of Massachusetts should be given the ability to protect oneself by riding into oncoming traffic for then evasive action can be taken by the bicyclist. On a side note, altho this is one of many bike accidents in our Commonwealth broadcast on the news…is there truly any need to be gruesome, horrific in the details of the accident pertaining to the victim??? I feel for her parents, siblings and other loved ones that have to see the details broadcasted when our imaginations can take over to those details? Perhaps, addressing that issue to help the loved ones deal with this loss without those details being broadcasted for ratings value should also be another topic addressed by everyone….ty so very much for your time.

8. By Boston Biker on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Lisa: I disagree with you fully as to the safety of riding against traffic, and am familiar with no state in america that promotes such a thing these days. I would suggest to everyone that they ride WITH traffic, and not follow your advice.

That being said my heart goes out to your extended family. I am very sorry for their loss.

9. By lisa on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

to clarify it is not my advice…it is a suggestion to be looked at as a possible future adjustment to current laws….it is not my intention to have any cyclist to break the laws of the states in which they ride. It’s just a possible alternative and may require consideration for the development of bike paths/lanes is a great alternative but again that may take years.

10. By @teeheehee on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Shane, thank you as always for collecting and sharing the information you find. It’s an unpleasant topic, but important to keep raising awareness to.

NECN, if you read this page I want you to know that I think you are disrespectful of the individual (Tanya) and the situation by idly musing your ignorance about whether or not she was wearing a helmet. In no way does this knowledge help, even if the answer were known – making mention of it in this fashion is painfully reminding viewers that you think this matters more than if/how this could have been avoided, and as usual you don’t bother to mention if the driver was wearing their seat belt.

11. By @teeheehee on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I grew up in NY during the 80′s. The bicycling instruction we received included hand signals and awareness, as well as some skills assessment (work to be less wobbly). I recall instruction for walking on sidewalks, and if necessary, roads, in the fashion you describe where you see traffic coming at you – I do not recall this instruction relating to riding a bike at all.

I would offer, any instruction given to make children safer when riding their bike may not apply 1:1 once you begin riding on the street as a part of traffic.

12. By @stephen rost on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

EDITORS NOTE: This comment is almost certainly a troll, or at the very least a horribly insensitive person, please don’t feed the trolls

———————-

I have to say Stephen, you are incredibly wrong.
    I dont see where all you cyclists get your sense of entitlement from, but as any idiot would know, the sign posted with the weight limit applies to the section of A street after the intersection.
    I watched this entire thing happen and the driver of the truck was not at fault. hopefully you guys will be more careful, Im sick of having to slam on my brakes because one of you idiots pulls out in front of me and proceeds to go 2 mph in front of me.

13. By Chloe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

We need to make drivers more aware of us and not start changing directions or the rules of the road. I think after a fatality we should get out everything we own that is bright and glows and twinkles and blinks and wear it in solidarity.

14. By Paul Schimek on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

According to police, “She came into contact with the right side of the vehicle as it was taking a left.” From the testimony of the driver and numerous witnesses, the police should know what happened, but they have not reported it.
    It sounds to me that this was the kind of crash that is preventable by the bicyclist by keeping a healthy distance from big trucks. Do not pull aside them when stopped at a light. (The usual case involves a truck turning right and a bicyclist turning left.) Let the truck go first if you are going in the same direction. This death is all the more tragic because it was easily preventable (and without constructing cycle tracks). We need to get the word out to cyclists to stay away from trucks at intersections. Here is the text I wrote in 1999, which you can still find here:

Behind or In Front, but Never Beside
    Large trucks and buses need to make wide right turns. You may be tempted to bicycle between them and the curb. Don’t. If the driver decides to turn right, there is no way he or she can see you. As the vehicle turns, its rear wheels move toward the curb, potentially catching a bicyclist unlucky enough to be in the way. Such incidents can easily be fatal.

15. By Paul Schimek on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Here is a good example of public awareness promotion on cycling and trucks (lorries or Heavy Goods Vehicles – HGVs). Check out the video:

(Also swap “right” and “left” in the text.)

16. By Paul Schimek on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Also this one:

17. By Jon on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

“…Im sick of having to slam on my brakes because one of you idiots pulls out in front of me and proceeds to go 2 mph in front of me.”

During my commute, I could say the same thing about any car or truck. You pull out in front of me and proceed to go 2 miles an hour… (if that)

18. By Paul Schimek on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

A bit more info from the Globe (pasted below), but overall an ignorant article, typified by the picture caption, “A bicyclist rode outside the lane reserved for riders on Tuesday on Commonwealth Avenue.”

It remains unclear what caused an accident Monday, when a woman in her mid-30s was pinned by a tractor-trailer in South Boston.

The victim, Tanya Connolly of South Boston, had purchased her bicycle one month earlier, said her sister-in-law, Nicole Connolly.

Tanya Connolly was a buoyant and outgoing woman who grew up in Ireland and was passionate about the outdoors, her sister-in-law said. The athletic 37-year-old had told family she hoped the bike would be an oppor­tunity for some exercise and fresh air.

Nicole Connolly said she knows her sister-in-law was a confident biker, even though it had been a while since she had ridden regularly. “I’m sure she was a good cyclist,” Connolly said Tuesday. “In Europe, everyone cycles.”

19. By Robert W. Hicks, Jr. on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

lisa, I strongly disagree with your advice to ride against traffic. This is one of my pet peeves as a cyclist. The margin of relative safety on the street is already narrowed by parked cars (frequently badly parked cars) with doors that can swing open at the most inopportune moment, double parked vehicles–a brazen but ubiquitous violation all over town, arrogant pedestrians ambling or darting unpredictably through stranded or slow-moving traffic, and potholed, rutted pavement. To these hazards add the surprising and annoying number of fellow-cyclists who don’t seem to realize that traffic in this country moves on the right. Please pardon me being so cranky, this is a tragic incident. In fact I encountered this accident as a detour in the midst of my homeward commute two days ago. I saw the police cars and the streets blocked off and assumed it was an mishap or a major emergency repair. I didn’t expect such a horrific story. I feel like those of us on two unmotorized wheels in this city have enough to watch for without causing further problems for each other.

Thank you.

20. By MITGear on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

We should not be promoting riding against traffic. I would put that up there with riding at night without a light in a dark suit as a cyclist sin.

Stay safe, ride with traffic, be seen, be predictable, and let’s hold people accountable for their part in these accidents, be it cyclists or the motorist.

21. By mari on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Does anyone know if there’s a memorial ride planned?

22. By Mark on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Cambridge driver with 28 violations on record gets away with murder: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120920/NEWS/209200320/-1/NEWS01

Should have become car-free long ago.

23. By Rick on May 9, 2014 | Reply

House Bill Number 3040 is a Right-of-Way Violations Bill that is scheduled to be released from the Joint Committee on Transportation on Thursday May 15, 2014.

Please contact the Transportation Committee at (617) 722-1350 and request a “Favorable, Ought to Pass” recommendation for this Bill.