Invisible Bicycle Helmet

Written by Boston Biker on Aug 14

The Invisible Bicycle Helmet | Fredrik Gertten from Focus Forward Films on Vimeo.

Pretty awesome.

submit Invisible Bicycle Helmet to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in fun, video | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Invisible Bicycle Helmet”

1. By Alan Wright on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Far Out! In 1995, on my way to work, I hit a small rock while slowing down for a stop and shifting gears. I woke up in the ER – there was a 2 inch crack in my (too) old hardshell Bell helmet (you know – one of those ugly white mushrooms). I’d buy a helmet bag – wait – I fell twice today during CX practice. Too expensive for sport, but commuting!?

2. By matt on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

awesomeness. but how does it know to trigger?

with a car airbag you have impact sensors, but the collar wouldn’t

3. By cris on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

matt — it’s using accelerometers to distinguish normal motion (ie. moving forward, gliding into a turn) from accident motion (ie. sharp movement up or down). There’s a brief overview on their website.

4. By cris on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

oh, and I’m curious if there are safe ways of triggering the airbag (for inadvertent hilarity). ie. will jumping up and down vigorously in a mosh pit or stage diving trigger it?

also, assuming the airbag is accidentally deployed, can bit be repacked\reinflated or is it a one-time use thing?

5. By david on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

@cris it is one time use, you send it in and they give you a discount on a new one.

6. By Pierce on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Very cool, but $600! Also for as uncomfortable or unfashionable as a helmet may be, that collar looks every bit as hot and obnoxious–but I’d willing to give it a shot if the price were more competitive. Also I’m just concerned about a malfunction and relying on electronics to be there when I need it to protect my skull. I’ll stay analog for now, but I’ll definitely check back in a couple of years.