Boston Marathon Update

Written by Boston Biker on Apr 12

Got word from the MassBike facebook page, that if you want to do the morning marathon ride you have to leave the finish line in Hopkington by 7:15, so get your ass out there in time, or you wont get to ride the entire course.

Get up early folks!

submit Boston Marathon Update to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: ,
Posted in fun | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Boston Marathon Update”

1. By craig on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Marathon ride fail! Hal’s 27th annual marathon ride starts at 6am. How many people do you think can average 24+mph (uphill) to Hopkington in order to turn around and make it back before they close the course. Last year there were nearly 100 cyclists participating in Hal’s ride. I hope someone lets Hal, an icon in the Boston marathon community, know.

Does that mean you can ride to the start and not enter the square, meaning they simply prevent you from crossing the start line and turn you around for Boston after 7:15? Or do they pull you from the course after 7:15? It’s a long way back to Boston via side roads if they do.

2. By Boston Biker on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

@craig My guess would be that they simply don’t let you start from the actual start line, you will just have to turn around and head back to Boston (on the course route) from wherever you are at that point.

3. By Ron Newman on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

I got redirected to PowWeb again today when I tried to go to your home page, http://BostonBiker.org . I had to go to http://BostonBiker.org/2012/ to see your content. Can you fix this again? Thanks.

4. By Boston Biker on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Ron you need to clear your cache, there is nothing wrong that I or anyone else I have asked to check it can detect. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

5. By matt on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

sounds like it’s best to leave at 5 or 5:30 if one wants to do the roundtrip. or maybe park near hopkinton – a copule of friends did that last year

6. By geoff adams on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Hmmmm… best play it safe and leave earlier. I like being able to loll about the start area before the return trip. Grab a coffee, take in the marathon-y atmosphere. I’m leaving Newton at 5:30. (With an extra layer!)

7. By geoff adams on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Note also: road closure schedule. Framingham, Natick, Wellesley at 8:45! So if you depart start area at 7:15 the roads won’t be closed yet, and there ain’t no use to riding back on open roads because it’s the traffic free return trip wot is the main event, no? Oh, what to do?!

8. By craig on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Looks like I’ll probably bag the ride this year then. The whole point of the ride is to ride out, take in the atmosphere at the start, then enjoy a car-free return trip. Closing the start line 1 and a half hours before the road closures kinda kills it.

If I am going to get up at a crazy hour for a bike ride, I’d rather do that on better roads outside of Boston and then make my way into the city at a reasonable hour to watch the race finish.

9. By Aaron on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I am organizing a ride leaving from near mile 24 of the course at Commonwealth Sports Club (1079 Comm Ave) at 6am. The road closures at the start in Hopkinton basically prevent you getting within 1/4 mile, but you can do virtually the whole route car free if you time it right. If you can’t make it to Hal’s ride, join team at CSC, and head straight east. Gets in most of the course, but your biking car free, it’s like a holiday! We’re having breakfast and bike parking inside club for after the ride as well.

10. By Sarah on Apr 20, 2014 | Reply

I’m hoping to ride out for the start of the marathon, but not ride ahead of the runners back, so I am going to miss the group riding out together. Are there directions to help me get out there? Thanks so much!