Local Crazy Man Rides Bike Down I-93

Written by Boston Biker on Nov 07

Apparently local bicycle celebrity Lucas Brunelle rode his bike down 93 today durring rush hour…I just hope he got it on film.

A bicyclist from Martha’s Vineyard is facing a trespassing charge after pedaling on the highway during rush hour near Boston this morning, State Police said.

At about 8:30 a.m., several 911 callers reported a man riding his bicycle on I-93 northbound, near Exit 11 in Milton, said Trooper Todd Nolan, a State Police spokesman.

Lucas Brunelle, 40, of Vineyard Haven was given a criminal summons and told not to ride on the highway again, Nolan said.(via)

If you are not familiar with Mr. Brunelle’s body of work, check it out here.

submit Local Crazy Man Rides Bike Down I-93 to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in news | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Local Crazy Man Rides Bike Down I-93”

1. By matt on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I fail to see whats “awesome” about this guy breaking the law and giving cyclists a bad name. seems more like a narcissistic attention-grabber pulling a publicity stunt. stay on the island

2. By Adam Myerson on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Lucas and I raced on the same team as Juniors in the late ’80s. He nearly killed us all many, many times back then, and it’s a small miracle he hasn’t killed himself by now.

3. By AJ Farkas on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I agree- seems like a dick move to empower every asshat with a ton of steel under him to hold a grudge against cyclists. There are plenty of ways to get your adrenaline fix without bringing down others with you.

4. By John W. on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

If you want to see what Lucas saw, check out the LA-based Criminalz riding various LA freeways a few years back.
    As for “empowering” drivers to treat cyclists like shit, that’s BS. They don’t do it because of cyclists. They do it because they’re lives are designed around and dependent upon the automobile, an understandably frustrating existence. They yell at each other, at pedestrians, at buses and trains, and, yes, the cyclists.
    But look at any freeway at rush hour! It’s not cyclists clogging the streets! Its CARCARCARCARCARCARCAR. Of course they can’t blame themselves for the traffic jam! Then they’d have to blame themselves for poorly planned sprawl and all the other consequences of their life choices. So, eat it cyclists! They blame you for all the problems on the road when they drive into, around, and out of the city.
    For me, Lucas is great. He’s a reminder that I truly unburdened myself when I sold my car and committed to riding my bicycle everywhere, every day.

5. By matt on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I give up. you’re right. it’s totally “awesome” when someone breaks the law by riding on an interstate highway and reinforces the impression that cyclists are reckless thrill-seekers. shame on me for worrying that motorists might, just might possibly play guilt-by-association and be a shred less kind to the next bike commuter they see.

6. By jthandle on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Matt, you keep saying he broke the law, but you don’t have enough information to make that claim. Riding on a limited access highway is not intrinsically illegal. If there is no sign posted at the on-ramp Lucas used to access the highway or if he didn’t ride past one on the roadway, then it is not illegal as per MGL Chapter 85 sections 2B & 2E. I don’t encourage people to ride on highways, as it is inherently dangerous, but it is also not inherently illegal.

7. By Ron Newman on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

What he did was most likely illegal, but it wasn’t “trespassing”, since I-93 is not private property.

8. By 李宗瑞 on Nov 1, 2013 | Reply

Hi there,I read your blogs named “Boston Biker » Blog Archive » Local Crazy Man Rides Bike Down I-93″ regularly. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep it up! And you can check my website about 李宗瑞.

2. Nov 8, 2011: Boston Biker » Blog Archive » Lucas Was Just Lost