This Just In: Big Changes In The Works For Boston Cycling Policy

Written by Boston Biker on Apr 01

Just got word of this, seems like its pretty serious changes to the way the mayor is going to handle bike infrastructure moving forward.

The installation and subsequent removal of the bike lane on Main Street in Charlestown was an embarrassing affair for Boston Bikes, and the backlash the lanes initially received highlights the challenge of balancing bike infrastructure development with public support.

The fight over the Park Slope bike lane in Brooklyn is another example of bike lanes that have greatly angered the motoring public despite their effect on decreased vehicle speeds and accident rate in the area.

“People often expect that we can show up and paint lines on the street,” Nicole said to me at our recent meeting. “But, there’s a much more involved political process.”

Often, Nicole said, she wonders if putting in bike lanes is really worth the effort and taxpayers’ money.

“If you think about it,” the Bike Czar mused, stroking her chin, “money from all tax payers is going to fund something that benefits a select few. I’ve discussed this issue with the powers that be, and I believe we’ve found a way to eliminate that disparity.”

Not worth it! I am impressed with the candor, but shocked by this!

Read the rest here.

What do the rest of you think? Is it too early to make judgements? I would hate to be foolish and jump to conclusions, especially this early in April.

submit This Just In: Big Changes In The Works For Boston Cycling Policy to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in advocacy, fun, infrastructure | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “This Just In: Big Changes In The Works For Boston Cycling Policy”

1. By Paul Schimek on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Nice, but the late Sheldon Brown did it better
    and his tradition lives on —

(And a left turn on red, after stopping and yield, is legal — from a one-way to another one-way.)
    (And police don’t stop people from double-parking in bike lanes today, so the satire falls a bit flat.)

2. By Boston Biker on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

nobody does it better than sheldon did…I wouldn’t even try.

3. By Fenway on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

So this means we will all be provided with government subsidized monster trucks right?

4. By Lovely Bicycle! on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

You almost had me. It’s been a long day and I forgot the date : )

5. By Spooky on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

I couldn’t make up my mind to snort or guffaw at this.

So instead, I will chortle. 🙂

6. By Mark Tedrow on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

You got me!
    Harriet and the folks at Harris are at it again: http://sheldonbrown.com/5and5.html!

7. By Cris on Apr 3, 2011 | Reply

Honestly, I kind of wish that the ShelBroCo Carrababy actually existed. Then you can have a little guy to adjust rear brake rub and wipe debris off your rear tire like a little R2D2 astromech droid.

8. By Marianna on Apr 3, 2011 | Reply

9. By Fenway on Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

“This actually has me thinking – could we just put bikelanes fucking EVERYWHERE if they were privately funded by donations from cyclists? That would be awesome.”

Streets are owned by the public, so the elected authorities would have to give permission before any private work as done to change the condition or configuration of the streets. Probably the same process as privately owned utilities under public streets.

10. By Marianna on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Well, yeah, I kinda meant “could we” in the sense of “with the blessing of all the people who complain about bike lanes wasting drivers’ money”