Ghost Bike Removed?

Written by Boston Biker on Jan 04

Got this in the email today.

The ghost bike installed on Longwood Avenue, Brookline for Tracy Milillo was removed by the police on December 30th,2010 because of complaints by some residents of the Town. It is currently being held by the Brookline police. May Tracy rest in peace. My condolences to her friends & family.

Can anyone confirm?

submit Ghost Bike Removed? to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in news | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “Ghost Bike Removed?”

1. By Rebecca on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I went to the Brookline police station yesterday, saw the bike in the evidence pen and spoke to a police officer about it. My husband & I had originally placed the bike at the Longwood site.

2. By Boston Biker on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

that’s horrible…perhaps we should put up like ten ghost bikes all over that intersection.

3. By Rebecca on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I think a complaint/comment to the police department would be better. The police didn’t have a problem with it and were very touched by the bike. I was told that her family had gone to see the bike. Maybe there should be a discussion as to how long a ghost bike should remain.

4. By Boston Biker on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

hmm could you find the most appropriate contact info, I will post it urging people to contact them and ask them to put it back up, also I think a discussion about how long it should stay up is a good one.

5. By Rebecca on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Community Relations at the Brookline Police Department would be the department to contact. Phone number is 617- 730-2248. However I do wonder how long a memorial should remain. I told the police officer that we did not want the bike returned to us. I think that they will ask the family if they want anything from the bike.

6. By galen on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know about Brookline, but the City of Boston has an unofficial policy that has ghost bikes remaining up for a year before being removed. Is one year enough? Is it too long? Personally, I think a year is not enough, from the point that it reminds all riders of the dangers of specific intersections.

7. By galen on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

IF a year isn’t enough, which I agree with, perhaps after the bikes are removed there can be a photo of the ghost bike, an 8.5 x 11 framed, up at that spot? (on the post or pole etc) A photo would pose no traffic flow problems and is unobtrusive, but still provides memorial for the fallen rider.