Cops Ticketing Red Light Runners on BU Bridge

Written by Boston Biker on Sep 23

I have gotten multiple reports of people being ticketed for running reds on the BU bridge.

Edit: The rest of this post somehow got eaten here is the rest below.

I am glad they are ticketing these people, this intersection is a nightmare and maybe a little directed enforcement would help people remember to value their own lives. That being said I hope they are also ticketing drivers, and at least talking to the pedestrians (can we please get a better j-walking ticket $1 dollar just doesn’t cut the mustard).

submit Cops Ticketing Red Light Runners on BU Bridge to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in advocacy, news | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Cops Ticketing Red Light Runners on BU Bridge”

1. By Darryll on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Thank god.

2. By RJ on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

This was just posted on Boston.com

3. By Tea on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Menino needs a reality check. Polital timing on HubOnWheels weekend. I hope the police takes time to cite every car etc that runs through every amber light at that junction. Some chance that happening !!

4. By Tea on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

p.s from my front door to Harvard Sq T station there is 48 sets of traffic lights. That is about a 9mile cycle. Traffic lights haven’t been designed with cyclists in mind. The lights timing systems are intended to keep motor vehicles flowing. Not slower paced vehicles i.e cycles. The mayor wants more cyclists on the roads. Yet picture the mayhem when 10 cyclists all wait at a red light with impatient motorists trying to cut us off before the next turn. Riders trying to clip in shoes. Others trying to change lanes. Vehicles trying to get past aggressively……the whole traffic system is corrupt from day one. Multiply that with 48 junctions and you get the picture.

5. By William on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I commuted through that intersection for eight months. I saw riders doing all sorts of stupid shit through there.

It seemed to me the only safe and sane way through was to get in line with the cars and wait on the lights. It’s easy to keep up with traffic through there, since it’s so congested, and it’s not that much slower than trying to run the red (on Comm Ave?! Nuts!) or squeeze through on the bridge (narrow lanes with sharrows painted *in the middle*?!).

I didn’t want cars trying to pass me on the bridge without using the entire other lane, so I gave them the same courtesy and didn’t try to squeeze through when everyone was stopped.

I hope the cops bring some sanity to that intersection. The gridlock protection cops were always nice to me and would wave me through on occasion.

6. By Tea on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

It is an insane junction that requires a complete stop for all traffic. Yet a bicycle stopping at say here Northbound at 6 am on a Sunday morning:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&expIds=25657,25941,26751,26758&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=cambridge+ma&cp=3&wrapid=tljp128529066081214&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl is stupid. Everyone wants safer streets. Holding bicyclists to rules of the road ‘designed’ with keeping ‘motor’ vehicles in mind, is insane. Cars approach junctions at 50mph inside an artifical enviorment with limited visualbilty. Cyclist 10mph with complete visualbility. Just like air traffic has different rules for different aircraft ‘class’ surely cyclist should be allowed to stop and proceed at certain junctions ‘classed’ accordingly. The law is too biased towards motors. Safe riding!

7. By Marcie on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

The BU news outlet, BU Today, makes it sound as though everyone was rather positive about it. http://www.bu.edu/today/node/11570

8. By i love espresso on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

i was at this intersection yesterday afternoon, and saw cops pull over an SUV that went straight ahead from the “right turn only” lane (ticket? warning?) as well as cite a woman riding in the bike lane – in the wrong direction. the road, mostly, is driven TOO FAST.

9. By Matt on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Would not surprise me if they target the critical mass crowd tomorrow. Would be great to see that broken up.

10. By Eoin on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree on the jaywalkers. I was pedaling down Mass Ave near Central last Friday night when some idiot stepped of the sidewalk right into the bike lane. I went down, breaking two or three ribs (the CT scan is ambiguous). The jaywalker was unhurt, and the cops who arrived on the scene declined to cite him, explaining to me that “no crime was committed.”

11. By yourstruly on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I was riding through the intersection of Ames and Broadway on Broadway when a woman stepped into the bike lane/crosswalk. I thought she was going to start crossing (she had a ‘Don’t Walk,’ I had a green), and slowed to let her go since she was in the crosswalk. She stopped, pulled out a cigarette and just stood there sucking (pun intended).

Still can’t believe she decided that spot was the best place to smoke. These type pedestrians need some manners taught to them, perhaps by serious ticketing (feh $1).

12. By Tea on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I stoped at a redlight crosswalk in Brookline yesterday with a cop directing traffic. He said carry on I won’t cite you or something to that effect. I said cheers and off I went. Does Menino want a build up of 10 or 20 cyclists at every junction surely this would create unsafe conditions in regards to how motorist treat us. I understand junctions, like BU Bridge its mayhem. But every red light, come on?

13. By Boston Biker on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

seriously people you all need to relax, absolutely nothing bad will happen to you, traffic, or the fabric of the time space continuum if you simply stop at a red light.

You should see the fact that bikers are getting tickets as a sign that cycling is now more respected.

I am overjoyed that cyclists are getting tickets, especially at this intersection. There is no argument to be made for safety, speed, or traffic flow at the BU bridge. Its a nightmare and everyone should be stopping and following the rules, and from the reports I am getting plenty of car drivers were getting tickets that day as well. Now we just need to get some fines for pedestrians and some semblance of order might break out.

The horror!

14. By Paul Schimek on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m happy to be in complete agreement with Boston Biker on this one. Although I do think that tackling a cyclist is inappropriate.

Ped enforcement is unfortunately unlikely to happen, especially with state law specifying a $1 fine (rising to $2 for 3rd violation within a year).

15. By JOHON on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply