Fatal Crash On Comm. Ave. In Brighton

Written by Boston Biker on Aug 10

Edit: It seems the young lady later died of her injuries.

At about 4:17pm, on Monday, August 9, 2010, officers from Area D-14 (Brighton) responded to a radio call for an accident involving a bicyclist being struck by a motor vehicle in the area of Warren Street and Commonwealth Ave. On arrival, officers located and observed a 24 year-old female victim being attended to and treated by EMS. The female victim, suffering from life threatening injuries, was transported to the Brigham & Women’s Hospital where she later succumbed to injuries and was pronounced. The cause of the accident is currently under investigation.

AB Bikes, and others have reported a potential fatal crash on Comm. Ave. last night, anyone have details?

I’ve been hearing reports of a bad bike accident, yesterday evening at the intersection of Kelton St and Comm Ave. There is nothing official yet, but you can read reports/tweets here: http://www.universalhub.com/2010/bicyclist-hit-car-brighton

From what I’ve heard, she was a 24 years old, no helmet, wearing headphones, who may have run a red light. The driver apparently had the right of way. Again, the reports are unverified.

Be careful out there. I will post more details as I get them.

Edit: Lots of reports of a lot of blood in the street from the accident, but I still cant confirm a fatality…I think we can be sure it was a lady, thats about all I can confirm at this point.

Edit: Here is the location of the crash, Kelton and Comm. Ave.

View Larger Map

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the cops, they say they don’t have any fatalities recorded for yesterday involving a bicyclist, so hopefully that means that the young lady survived.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the bike at the scene. Pink and purple step through frame. Looks geared, and with brakes (aka, this wasn’t a fixed gear bicycle).

Edit: The globe seems to have finally noticed, no new info however.

Edit: More info about the young lady who died Marlene “Marly” Pineda here.

submit Fatal Crash On Comm. Ave. In Brighton to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in news | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Fatal Crash On Comm. Ave. In Brighton”

1. By RH on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

I saw the accident yesterday. It happened around 4:15 pm. It was horrific. The young woman on the bicycle seemed to come out of nowhere. I was at the red light on Comm. Ave. The driver going across on Kelton had the green light. The driver really had no chance to react. It was horrible. The girl spun on impact and seemed to crack her head on the concrete. The image of her seemingly lifeless body laying there on the median is stuck in my head. People came to her aid right away, but I think it was too late. I don’t know for sure about her health, but I’ll tell you, it looked like it happened very quickly. I feel for everyone: the family of the cyclist, the driver, everyone. Life is fragile. I’ve never seen anything like it.

2. By Marianna on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

I go through this intersection every day =(

This sucks.

3. By O on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

RH: I have never seen anything like it either and I keep getting flashbacks of that poor woman spinning on impact and then just lying there…so tragic. Unfortunately, I heard through another blog by someone that knew her, that she was killed.

4. By Fenway on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

FATAL BICYCLE ACCIDENT IN BRIGHTON

Posted by MediaRelations on August 10, 2010 · Leave a Comment

5. By Amber on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Oh how awful, how really really awful. I know it’s always questionable if it will help, but this is why I’ll always wear a helmet. I don’t care if I look like the biggest dweeb on the planet. It’s also why I always where some kind of long sleeved shirt..having had a motorbike, I know well the risk of road rash.

6. By teeheehee on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Terrible news. There are reports from some people claiming to have witnessed the accident on universal hub.

There are also reports of accidents in Allston two nights ago on Cambridge St at the I-90 onramp (I saw the aftermath with police cruisers, as well as a sizable spill of blood in the road), and last night at the intersection of Western Ave and Soldiers Field Road. I haven’t been able to find any info on these.

Stay safe everyone.

7. By stemcellular on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Ugh, I live right down the street. Its insane how bad it has gotten around here in the past year. I’ve been cycling from BK-Cam for 5 years now, all seasons, and the last year has been horrible. Motorists just seem even more brazen and the number of cyclists without appropriate gear and helmets is astounding. I’ve even changed my ride up a few different times, avoiding the HBS road and 90 off-ramp, just to see if I can find a less risky route to the office (to no avail).

My sincere condolences to her family, such a shame.

8. By hoolese on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Car and truck drivers in Boston have become more and more violent towards bicyclists and pedestrians in the city. I was harassed by 3 cars in a row in the south end this weekend. The mayor wants to pretend to care about cycling, but in his heart he is an SUV driving suburbanite.

9. By Charlotte on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

While it doesn’t sound like it was the case here, I do agree that aggressive driving has gotten worse. My heart breaks for her family, the driver, everyone involved.

Please stay safe, visible, predictable.

10. By Jack on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

With all due respect to the deceased, this is a perfect example of why traffic rules need to be enforced for cyclists. Think about the example you set for others every time you run a stop sign or a traffic light.

11. By J on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

With all due respect, Jack, this is not a perfect example of anything. The crash happened at the bottom of a hill, meaning brake failure could have been the problem.

12. By Lisa on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

My sister went to college with Marly, the young woman who was killed in this bike accident. If you would like more information on who this amazing person was, please follow this link to where her college wrote an article about her:

I ad the privilege of meeting her on several occasions, and she was truly a talented swimmer and charismatic person. So sad. Please keep her family in your prayers!

13. By geekybikedad on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

It seems to me that we, the Boston cycling community, need to have a large and visible rolling vigil EVERY time a cyclist is killed, regardless of “fault.” Streets in Greater Boston are not safe for cyclists, simply put, regardless of the care & precautions a cyclist takes. many if not most of the accidents where the cyclist is partially or even completely at fault would be avoided with better infrastructure.

Having a vigil every single time a cyclist dies in an accident would greatly increase our visibility as a “constituency” of road users that the city & state need to listen to. Who’s going to organize it? Boston Cyclists Union? Mass Bike? Bostonbiker.org readers? Someone in the organized cycling advocacy community, please step up.

14. By Katie Panetta on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

This is so awful, my heart aches terribly. Someone lost a life so there is no need to lay blame anywhere, but cyclists really need to wear helmets and Boston drivers need to not be so aggressive! I don’t believe this was a case of aggressive driving, but I am a cyclist who was actually struck by an SUV on Fri Aug 6th, still recovering from my injuries, and I ride my bike to and from work daily (where there are even bike lanes) and I get honked and beeped at constantly! It needs to stop! And my accident case was due to careless/aggressive driving as well. It’s so awful for me to read this article to know it could have been me. This had happened just a few days after mine so I had co-workers upon my arrival back at work today tell me they thought for a moment I had been killed when this story broke (with no info on the female)…it really makes you think and it’s such a scary thing to know how unsafe this city really is for bikers. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young woman.
    Katie

15. By Paul on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

It is truly sad this woman lost her life. But what about the driver of the vehicle that struck her. That individual will now struggle with the guilt of taking another person’s life. Around this city I’ve used all forms of transport to get around, vehicles(from tiny to forty foot trucks), bicycles, inline skates, old school skates, skateboard, and the ever dependable own two feet. Not one group(pedestrian, bicyclist, vehicle operator, etc.) has nailed being the asshole. Vehicles have weight and momemtum on there side, but they are controlled by same medium; people.
    Bicyclist that ride without a lid, earbuds in, and ignoring all road indicators may not be so worthy of your sympathy.

16. By Paul on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Some insight into the madness around us all. Without a doubt Boston has some of the craziest drivers in the country. We don’t appear on COPS because around here the cops have better things to do than chase down motorist. It all revolves around “me first”. When a cyclist blows past you and they procede to blow the light, motorist get a sense of being last. This is not good, these actions are repeated 1000 times everytime you drive in the city of Boston. Bicyclist do it to motorist, motorist do it to pedestrians, pedetrians do it scooter operators,everybody does it to everbody else, and this repeats everyday until someone cracks.