“But What Do You Do When It Rains?”

Written by Boston Biker on Aug 05

You get wet thats what. That is some serious determination.

Thanks Mike for sending in this awesome picture!

submit “But What Do You Do When It Rains?” to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in fun | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to ““But What Do You Do When It Rains?””

1. By cycler on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Or you just wait an hour…
    Left work at 6:30, and the pavement all along Cambridge street was so dry you’d never know it was coming down buckets 2 hours earlier.

2. By Mark Simpson on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

I was riding through the common and i saw a puddle – thought it would be fun to ride through it! Half way in i found out it was at least 2 foot deep!

Still fun.

3. By mtalinm on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

if I think it might rain, I take my bike with fenders, drum/roller brakes, and internal gears. it’s much easier to navigate in the wet than my road bike.

also, carry a rain jacket just in case. I have one that rolls up to fit in a pocket for sprinkling, and I am saving up for a ShowersPass for when it’s raining buckets

4. By Mark on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Be careful riding through puddles. You can’t see what is hidden below. You can be seriously hurt.

5. By Marianna on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

I went under an overpass just as someone flew through a puddle on top of it. Wall of water! (but I didn’t notice cause I was already a drowned rat). It was actually pretty pleasant because it was warm rain, but then I got home and was like “how do I get all of my clothes off without ending up with a huge puddle in my room”.

6. By Lovely Bicycle! on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

We cyclists love stories of determination and cycling in adversity. But I think we need to consider that to someone who is just thinking about cycling, they can be quite off-putting. “So *that” is what’s required of me if I start cycling? No, I don’t think that’s for me.” Those who work in a professional environment with a business dress code cannot arrive to work soaking wet, they just can’t. So saying “you just get wet” to them pretty much ensues that they will cross cycling off their list of feasible transportation modes. And even commuting aside – you know, people just sometimes want to look and feel dignified, and arriving soaking wet because you ride a bike doesn’t jive with that.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but my point is this: If it’s raining, I wear a trench coat, hat and boots, and I arrive dry. That is all. If there is a downright flood, I wait it out. It does not have to be painful or heroic.

7. By obie119 on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Or, an even less intimidating solution: you don’t have to ride in every day! You can be a bike commuter whether you ride in once a week in the summer or every day all year round.

I feel like the all-or-nothing view many people have is harmful to our bike commuting gospel. When I talk with people about bike commuting, I really try to emphasize that it’s about balance – you don’t have to change your whole life all at once and buy lots of gear…You can just give it a go.

Sure, I tend to ride when it rains – I’m too lazy to get up early and walk to the bus…but that’s not everyone’s situation.

8. By mtalinm on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

@obie119 this is one reason I think that bike-to-work programs should allow for a public transit alternative.

at my employer for instance, there is an incentive program for biking to work…but only if you ALWAYS bike to work (i.e., don’t get a T pass).

I’ve biked to work in 17-degree weather, but it simply isn’t practical to do year-round with the rain and ice.

9. By mahler9th on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I bike to work every day. My employer offers a good discount for T passes, so I buy on in Feb every year and take that month off biking.

As for rain, last Thursday was a day to remember: I got more soaked than ever. Literally every thing was drenched when I got home

At one point, a bus passed me and I got that “warm bath water” effect from the huge curbside puddle the bus poured over me. I find once I get wet enough I don’t care anymore and almost enjoy the experience. But it pays to be extra careful biking in the pouring rain (hidden dangers, momentary rain-blindness, idiotic motorists)

One question I have: does anyone know if biking in the rain does much damage to the average bike?

10. By Lisa on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Look at it this way: how else would you travel in that flood?

Everyone in that photo must be getting rather wet. The water is up to the knees of the pedestrians and the doors of the cars! At least the cyclist is going somewhere.