New Pavement On Southwest Corridor Bike Path

Written by Boston Biker on Jul 05

Smooth like butter, the new pavement on the southwest corridor is done, and it is nice! Anyone else ride it yet? What are your thoughts?

submit New Pavement On Southwest Corridor Bike Path to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in fun, video | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “New Pavement On Southwest Corridor Bike Path”

1. By mtalinm on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

This was my original route to MIT from Westwood. Then, I couldn’t take the constant jarring bumps anymore, so I switched to the Jamaicaway path and put up with the Route 9 interchange.

I think I’m switching back to SWC now. It is smooth, especially near the intersections (of which there are still many!). And of course, SWC is flat.

Kudos to DCR for a job very well done!!

2. By William Furr on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Nice! Just in time for me to move to JP!

3. By Paul Schimek on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Very smooth — I never thought I would see the day.

The coming improvements to the Lamartine St intersection should be a big help too.

Anyone who is in the habit of straying off the paved path now has to be extra cautious, because in many places the asphalt is higher than the ground, meaning that straying back on to the path would likely cause a diverting fall.

Some other easily fixable problems could be addressed: narrow (3-foot) curb cuts (especially at Ruggles St); cobblestones.

There are also less fixable problems: intersection conflicts and muggers.

And even almost all of Amory Street is now well paved, after being horrible for 15 years. And I even saw that Harrison Street in Chinatown is being repaved. We should have financial crises more often.

4. By Matt on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Whatsup at Lamartine?

5. By Finnigan on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

I just moved to JP near Stony Brook, and plan on riding downtown for work. What’s this about muggings? Reading the JP Neighbors-for-Neighbors site, it seems like that was more a problem over a year ago – is it still a current concern?

6. By Pierce on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

I have ridden the SW Corridor most days, year round, since I moved to JP two years ago. I work long hours with some frequency, and have been on that path all hours of night and morning, between Ruggles Station and Boylston Street, and can say I’ve never been mugged, near-mugged, nor really ever felt threatened. I keep my wits about me of course, and in the rare occurrences that I happen on someone in the dark I build up a little steam and take stock of my surroundings, which usually include street lights, nearby motorists, subway stations, and the police station. My wife rides this daily too, often by herself, without incident. Ride without fear, but stay sensible, in a city anything is possible.

7. By Paul Schimek on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

from http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/4178

@Finnigan and Pierce: I haven’t heard of any muggings recently, but have heard of several over the past 18 years. The biggest trouble spot is between Jackson Square Station and Bromley Heath, after dark (southbound, I use the busway instead at all times). Second biggest spot is behind the police station (see this notable incident in 2002 that happened to my neighbor — http://www.principelaw.com/Jurisdiction_bikepath.pdf)

8. By Paul Schimek on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

from http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/4178@Matt: “Because the Lamartine/Centre intersection is also a crossing for the Southwest Corridor bike path, it will see an extra-wide 20-foot crosswalk for use by pedestrians and bicyclists. That crosswalk will be oriented so bicyclists can cross Centre without having to travel on the sidewalk to get back on the path on the station side.”
    from http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/4178

9. By Paul Schimek on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    from http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/4178

10. By Paul Schimek on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

@Matt: “Because the Lamartine/Centre intersection is also a crossing for the Southwest Corridor bike path, it will see an extra-wide 20-foot crosswalk for use by pedestrians and bicyclists. That crosswalk will be oriented so bicyclists can cross Centre without having to travel on the sidewalk to get back on the path on the station side.” JP Gazette

11. By Matt on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Paul for the link! Best news vie heard all day

12. By jacek rudowski on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

i have ridden this path and it is really nice except where it crosses massachusetts avenue. i do mind stopping for traffic on mass. ave., i do hate having to dismount from the bicycle. some curb cuts would help here.