Feats Of Daring Do, The Fourth Of July

Written by Boston Biker on Jul 05

Holy crap…I just got home. I don’t think I have every been so glad I am a good urban rider than I was tonight. Literally these are the obstacles I overcame to get home tonight.

A sea of broken beer bottles in the road.
People shooting fireworks AT ME.
A never ending parade of drivers doing everything they want and nothing they should.
The parade of humanity spilling forth drunkenly into the streets with nary a care in the world.
The closing of multiple bridges (and the using of them anyway).
Drunk drivers/pedestrians/bicyclists.
People out on bikes with no lights and no helmets.
People driving cars with no lights on.
One guy tried to grab me and give me a hug.
The heat.
And a million more things that flew by too quickly to register.

It was pretty awesome. I mean that in like the “part the red seas” kind of awesome, not the like “bro awesome!” kind of awesome. I know this city can be rough but I never have seen it like this. I was out riding when the Red Sox won the world series and it wasn’t like this. That was more of a string of rolling high fives, this…this was like war.

I can’t fathom why everyone DROVE A CAR to see the fireworks. It’s hard enough getting around this town normally, throw in explosives and cars full of sleepy children ready to get home, and its impossible.

I can honestly say the several miles I traveled down the heart of the city tonight were some of the craziest I have every had the pleasure of pedaling. It was a wild time, and I had a blast.

Do you have any bike and fourth related feats of daring do?

submit Feats Of Daring Do, The Fourth Of July to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in bostonbiker | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Feats Of Daring Do, The Fourth Of July”

1. By Eric Jay on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

I wasn’t out this year, but last year I biked to/from the fireworks. Definitely a CRAZY ride back North on Mass Ave.

2. By Joe Zairo on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

Before I moved within a one mile walk of our local fireworks we used to have a six mile drive home after the show which took anywhere from one to three hours. I would have loved to take the bikes but my wife is not that bike friendly. About 35 years ago I rode my bike 25 miles to our bicycle club’s annual picnic. On the way I had an accident trying to avoid a dog chasing us and landed on my head. Another club member and I rode home on a major highway, in the dark with no lights. As we were riding on the shoulder of the road that already had old tires, bottles and who knows what else we had the additional challenge of being harassed by all the drunks. I was very happy to arrive home with no further injuries! Since then I have not ridden at night with out lights and on a national (drinking) holiday. I do however commute to work and use my bike for shopping with no problems.

3. By mtalinm on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

we drove because it’s unsafe to have kids ride through such a melee

4. By cycler on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t ride this year because I was sick and tired and went to bed before the fireworks started. But the last couple of years I’ve biked to the Boston fireworks from the Cambridge side of things, and it’s been really chill.
    Not many cars are stupid enough to try to get up in close so we practically had the roads to ourselves, and there are tons of cops around keeping everyone in line. I’m sure I was home before most people made it off the esplanade.

5. By mtalinm on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

my episode of derring-do happened today, when I rode in (13m) and DIDN’T change into work clothes.

I thought no one was around & so it wouldn’t matter, but I was wrong. whoooops :-)

6. By teeheehee on Jul 5, 2010 | Reply

The crush of people invading the streets downtown from Storrow was unreal. I walked my bike in several streets with some friends to the parking garage they were at (not riders, and laden with expensive camera gear). I burned up about half an hour before I actually headed home, and even then the obstacles were fierce and pervasive.

Oh, and the bike lanes on Comm Ave were just as often conveying bikes as they were scooters. What’s the deal with this, are they allowed to be there? It would have been less of a problem if there wasn’t at least two that popped over from the regular traffic lane to the bike lane without looking so it could scoot up ahead of the cars, and once block the bike box.

I only had to holler once at someone who cut me off near the BU bridge, but there’s nothing particularly unique with that. I think just the sheer number of people made everything that much less predictable.

7. By William Furr on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow, thanks for sharing. Makes me glad I was in the woods in Vermont instead of trying to bike the city streets.

8. By Jay on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t ride during the fireworks, but I thought the rest of the weekend was simply one of the best biking experiences ever. Hardly any cars on the roads, we pretty much had full reign of the streets! Went on several trips with the gf to JP, a farmer’s market in Union, Minuteman… drivers, please, leave town more often!!