More Pics Of Comm. Ave. Bike Lanes

Written by Boston Biker on May 13

Looks like the boxes and extra markings are getting put in! Weeee!

I will go get some more pics later. Looks pretty rad though!

(via the Boston bikes facebook page)

EDIT: Video from a-b bikes!

EDIT: More pics on 100psi

submit More Pics Of Comm. Ave. Bike Lanes to reddit.com Add to Reddit.

Posted in infrastructure | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “More Pics Of Comm. Ave. Bike Lanes”

1. By Adam Pieniazek on May 13, 2010 | Reply

Am digging the two lines at the stop lights system. Cars stop at the first line, bikes stop at the second line giving bikers a head start and making them more visible.

2. By Fenway on May 13, 2010 | Reply

It’s infrastructure like this more than anything which is going to help get more people cycling. The lanes and markings make novices feel like they belong on the road and give them a comfort level which is hard to attain otherwise.

I know the VCers deride lanes and makings because it can create the perception that bikes have to be in the lanes and only the lanes, and not ride with regular traffic if they so choose. But, I really think for 90% of public is helped by the presence of lanes. That’s cyclists and drivers alike.

3. By J on May 13, 2010 | Reply

Ok, Now I’m 100% satisfied. Good job Nicole. Cant wait to see them in person.

4. By Adam Pieniazek on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Rode these lanes yesterday. The switch to lanes on the left hand side going past Mass Ave are kinda dangerous. I navigated over just fine but it feels like a accident waiting to happen when an inexperienced biker sees the lanes switch side suddenly with no warning.

Perhaps there should be some markings before hand alerting cyclists the lane switches sides.

5. By John_in_NH on May 15, 2010 | Reply

as an avid cyclist in the UK for a study abroad term, being on the left of cars is just fine, and I feel normal in many ways. True the uk is horrid for cycling (not quite as bad as the US though) but at least where I was, they have the ol bike boxes at most intersections, and they are realllly nice, even if its just to let cars know that there is a cyclist there and they are crossing the intersection first. Bravo, I wonder what other examples on the east coast of these we have, I have not heard about them yet in NYC or other communities…

GOOO Boston!

6. By J on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Boston Biker, could I request more images? Im out of town, and would love to see the completed project + the mentioned beacon st lanes.

It is really exciting to see Boston go from “we’ll paint a line even when its not that safe (columbus, kenmore) to “left hand lanes! green bike boxes! removing an entire car lane in the underpass! sharrows” with a single project.