Call Today to Support Bicycling in the Economic Recovery Bill
Support Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects in the Economic Recovery Bill
The House and the Senate have each passed their own version of the Economic Recovery Bill, aimed at creating jobs and stimulating the economy. Both bills include billions for transportation infrastructure, but only the House bill includes funding for bicycle and pedestrian projects in the Transportation Enhancements program. The House bill includes approximately $1.35 billion for Transportation Enhancements of which 50-60% is traditionally spent on bicycle and pedestrian projects. The Senate bill does not explicitly include Transportation Enhancements, so it’s unclear whether this funding will be in the final bill.
We need to make sure Transportation Enhancement funding is in the final bill.
This week there will be a conference committee where several members of the House and several members of the Senate will work together to reconcile the two bills. Conferees need to hear that Transportation Enhancements are important to stimulating the economy, creating green jobs, and moving us towards a sustainable future.
We need you to make three calls today:
1. Call Senator Kennedy (202-224-4543)
2. Call Senator Kerry (202-224-2742)
3. Call your representative (click here to find out who your Congressperson is, then click their name for contact info)
and ask each of them to tell the Conferees to support Transportation Enhancements in the Economic Recovery bill.
- Bicycle and pedestrian projects create jobs at the same or better rate than highway projects.
- These smaller projects can move quickly to hire local businesses and help local economies.
- Providing safe and convenient bicycle and pedestrian access gives families healthier and cheaper transportation options.
- Improving sidewalks and bike lanes can make a downtown a destination further helping the local economy.
- Better biking and walking options also help ensure greater energy independence, less pollution, and a healthier United States!
Please share this email alert with all bicyclists (and pedestrians) you can, and encourage them to join you in supporting biking and walking today! Thank you – together we will make a big difference!
Tags: bicycles, Call Now, economic recovery bill
Posted in advocacy | 1 Comment »